Concern as Victoria's COVID-19 cases rise - Braidw
Concern as Victoria's COVID-19 cases rise - Braidwood Times
Plans to ease coronavirus restrictions in Victoria could be in doubt if the number of new cases in the state continues to rise, the state's deputy chief healt...
Plans to ease coronavirus restrictions in Victoria could be in doubt if the number of new cases in the state continues to rise, the state's deputy chief health officer has warned. Eighteen new COVID-19 cases were recorded in the state on Thursday, including eight cases of community transmission, bringing the state's total to 1780. About 80 cases remain active. Six cases of the new cases are returned travellers in hotel quarantine, one is connected to an existing outbreak and a further three remain under investigation. It comes after Victoria recorded 21 cases on Wednesday, the state's biggest increase in more than a month. Victoria's Deputy Chief Health Officer Annaliese van Diemen said authorities still plan to relax restrictions on Monday, though a lot can happen in the meantime. "Monday is not that far away. The plan is to continue to ease those restrictions on Monday, but a lot can happen in five days," Dr van Diemen told reporters on Thursday. "We don't want to take any chances and if it does continue to climb, we will be taking all of that into account when we decide whether or not to ease further on Monday." Gyms, cinemas, indoor sports centres and concert venues will reopen on Monday, while cafes, restaurants and pubs will increase capacity from 20 people to 50. Australian Associated Press
Other News Australia
The 'astonishing' number that will give Damien Hardwick headaches after Richmond's shocker - Wide World of Sports
'We still pride ourselves on the way we play'
Brisbane Lions great Jonathan Brown has revealed the "astonishing" stat that is looming as a major cause for concern for Richmond coach Damien Hardwick. The Tigers were manhandled by a hungry Hawks side, who came out and hit Richmond with the same manic pressure that the premiers usually hound their opponents with. Richmond's end result of 27 total tackles for the match, was well below figures of 52 and 70 in the first two rounds, respectively, and left Brown concerned. "I don't think we've seen much of that in the last three years," Brown told Fox Footy. "Richmond's fewest tackles in a game since 2008. That is astonishing. The final number, 27, in a game where they lost by 32 points. Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was unable to have his usual impact on the contest against Hawthorn (Getty) "Last week early on in the game they were ordinary, I thought they were terrible in the second half against Carlton in Round 1. "There's problems down there at Richmond. They looked lackluster and 'standoffish' as Trent Cotchin described last week. "Really concerned about that. They need to work on that and get back to a consistent tackling performance." Speaking about the lack of tackling, Hardwick said the endeavour was there from his players, but they were failed by their execution on the night. "Our pressure was there, but we just missed tackles and they broke through," he said after the loss. Damien Hardwick was left frustrated by the lack of execution from his players against Hawthorn (Getty) "A number of times I thought we had them stuck, but they just managed to get out and get that ball forward. "That was disappointing. It was not to our level of expectation for sure. A lot of things that we're not executing are in our control. "The opposition is the opposition, but we still pride ourselves on the way we play and we're just not doing that. "That's on me as a coach and the players stepping up and performing, at the moment we're well short of that. We're well off it at the moment." Also of concern for the Tigers is the form of veteran forward Jack Riewoldt, who has a total of just 23 disposals and three goals through the first three games of the year. Jack Riewoldt is woefully out of form to start the season for the reigning premiers (Getty) "I just wonder if Damien Hardwick when driving home tonight will wonder, 'What do I do with Jack?'," Kangaroos great David King told Fox Footy. "I know he kicked five in the Grand Final and I know he's been a wonderful servant and an absolute top-liner. This is not a go at Jack, but right now he just needs something. "I don't know whether it comes from the coach. His smarts have always got him goals, but the step is not quite there. The ability to shake an opponent is not quite there." Over Richmond's last three dominant seasons, it has overwhelmed opponents by using aggressive handballs through the middle of the ground, a tactic that has been shut down by Collingwood and Richmond over the last two weeks. According to King, getting their aggressive handball chains working is central to the reigning premiers being revitalised. Chad Wingard and Hawthorn were all smiles after the impressive Friday night win over the Tigers (Getty) "It just wasn't a Richmond performance and I just wonder if this all comes back to ball movement," he said. "When their run and gun handball chains have dried up. Last week they had 100 handballs and of those 79 were effective (and they scored) five goals, so they didn't get through. "This is a team that averaged 150 last year, so that's their game. "Tonight, they were virtually rendered useless in the handball game for three quarters, but in the last quarter, when they lit up, 30 handballs, pretty much all of them effective, 17 Inside 50s. "Until their handball game gets going, they don't look like scoring, so I think you've got to look at this if you're Damien Hardwick."
Andrews, Albanese face union backlash over Labor takeover - The Age
Court action could be a possibility as Victorian unions fight to retain their seat at Labor's table after the Somyurek branch-stacking scandal.
But the CFMMEU, which unsuccesfully took on the partys national leadership in court last year after it moved to expel the union's controversial Victorian boss John Setka, confirmed on Thursday that it was seeking legal advice on the takeover, with other unions also canvassing their legal options. The Premier has made it clear that unions, who pay Victorian Labor hundreds of thousands of dollars each year in affiliation fees, had no place in the immediate plans to clean up the party that include a three-year freeze voting rights, an audit of memberships and federal control of preselections. But plumbers' union state secretary Earl Setches told The Age on Thursday that he and his colleagues, while wholly supportive of clean-up of Victorian Labor, would not accept party figures from NSW and other states choosing the candidates to contest elections for the Victorian ALP. Mr Setches said he had the backing of other unions in his position that the labour movement was not implicated in the branch-stacking scandal and that unions did not deserve to have their voting rights suspended. Victorian Labor has to clean up because Victorian Labor has been embarrassed, Mr Setches said. But Daniel Andrews should control what happens. The national executive are not going to be telling Victorians who to preselect. The CFMMEU said it had made no decisions on how it would react to the move by the national executive but it was looking at its legal options. The union is seeking legal advice before making any decision, a spokesman said on Thursday. Mr Andrews said he wanted the administrators appointed by the party, former Victorian premier Steve Bracks and former federal minister Jenny Macklin, to begin their work before he began speculating on when the partys democratic processes might be restored. I have a number of requirements ... particularly in relation to genuine members who are consenting and are self-funded, thats not my priority at the moment, the Premier said. Lets get ourselves into a position where we can be confident in the integrity of those processes before we start speculating on when votes might start happening again. Mr Andrews announced on Thursday that Essendon MP Danny Pearson, former minister Natalie Hutchins and Shaun Leane, who resigned as President of State Parliaments upper house on Thursday, as his new ministers. As the fallout from the scandal continued to unfold on Thursday, Mr Somyurek continued his attack on federal Labor MP Anthony Byrne, with the fallen powerbroker saying he was "really worried about the mental health" of Mr Byrne, his former mentor. Mr Somyurek was caught on covert video surveillance, captured in the electorate office of Mr Byrne, describing his industrial-scale branch stacking operation and encouraging a businessman to forge signatures on party membership forms. Politically damaging text messages between the two men were leaked on Wednesday night, hours after Mr Byrne pledged to co-operate with anti-corruption investigators probing the scandal. Anthony Byrne is a long and dear friend of mine, Im not sure what went wrong, Mr Somyurek told Nine News on Thursday afternoon. Im really worried about his mental health. Anthony Byrne is someone I really respect. Everything about branch work I know is everything Anthony Byrne taught me. I have a lot of respect for the man but I do think something is seriously wrong. In a statement on Wednesday night about the release of the text messages, Mr Byrne said Mr Somyurek had selectively released a handpicked selection of text messages to him sent over two years. "That speaks for itself," the federal MP said. When asked if he wanted to respond to Mr Somyurek's comments on Thursday, Mr Byrne said: "No response." Noel Towell is State Political Editor for The Age Michael is a state political reporter for The Age. Sumeyya is a state political reporter for The Age.