BlackburnNews.com - Homep Canada
Blackburn News offers Local News, Weather Forecast, Sports and Free Daily News Updates for London, Windsor, Chatham, Sarnia and Midwestern Ontario. Signup HERE to receive our free daily newsletter.
BlackburnNews.com - Canadian retailer to shutter operations - BlackburnNews.com
A popular women's fashion chain is the latest Canadian retailer to fall victim to the slumping economy caused by COVID-19.
By Mark BrownOctober 23, 2020 6:35pmA popular women’s fashion chain is the latest Canadian retailer to fall victim to the slumping economy caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Le Château Inc., which is based in Montreal, announced Friday that it had filed a Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCHA) application to protect its assets, while it liquidates and winds down operations, according to a media release posted on the company’s corporate website. The chain has 123 stores across Canada, including one at Devonshire Mall in Windsor and one at White Oaks mall in London. The company also maintains a website that serves customers in both Canada and the U.S. In its release, the company said every effort was made to keep the company afloat. “The retail industry faced numerous challenges due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the second wave currently hitting our communities across Canada,” the company said. “Its already evident impact on consumer demand for Le Châteaus holiday party and occasion wear, which represents the core of our offering, has diminished Le Châteaus ability to pursue its activities.” There were 900 people employed in the chain’s stores, plus 500 at the head office in Montreal. “We regret the impact this will have on our people and can assure you that we explored all options available to us prior to taking this difficult decision,” the company said. “We also thank the fashion schools and the business partners that have been part of our legacy and wish them continued success in keeping Montréal the fashion centre of Canada. Most importantly, we thank the millions of Canadians whom we have had the privilege of serving over the past six decades.” There is no word on when the stores will close.
Flu vaccines on the way to primary health care providers - BlackburnNews.com
Primary health care providers that plan on delivering the annual flu shot should have their allotment by the end of the week.
By Maureen RevaitOctober 20, 2020 3:02amPrimary health care providers that plan on delivering the annual flu shot should have their allotment by the end of the week. The Windsor Essex County Health Unit is starting to distribute flu vaccines to area practices. The health unit is not responsible for distributing vaccines to pharmacies, that’s done on a provincial level. Dr. Wajid Ahmed is encouraging everyone in the community to get the flu shot, especially those who are high risk. “The vaccine will not protect against COVID-19, colds or other respiratory illnesses that may be mistaken for influenza but they are not caused by the influenza virus. Still, it would reduce the hospitalization, need for health care services and overall decrease the burden of disease in our community,” said Dr. Ahmed. Every year in Canada, about 3,500 deaths are linked to the influenza virus or about 1 per cent of confirmed flu cases. Last year there were about 200 confirmed cases of influenza in Windsor-Essex and no deaths linked to the virus. Ahmed said many people who experience flu-like symptoms at home will never get tested for the virus but it`s estimated about 10-20 per cent of the Canadian population are infected with the flu each year. So far in 2020, 9,800 people with COVID-19 have died in Canada, about 5 per cent of COVID-19 cases in the country.
One new active case of COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton - BlackburnNews.com
649 new cases of the virus reported in Ontario.
By Rick BurrowsOctober 12, 2020 5:19amLambton Public Health reported Sunday night there’s one new active case of COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton bringing the total of confirmed cases to 348 of which 322 have been deemed resolved. The death toll remains at 25. In Ontario Sunday there were 649 new cases of the virus reported with one death.
Third straight day of double-digit COVID increases for London-Middlesex - BlackburnNews.com
The London region logged a double-digit jump in new COVID-19 cases for the third consecutive day on Thursday.
By Miranda ChantOctober 8, 2020 1:29pmThe London region logged a double-digit jump in new COVID-19 cases for the third consecutive day on Thursday. The Middlesex London Health Unit said ten more people tested positive for the virus over the last 24 hours. That comes after an 11 case increase on Wednesday and a 10 case spike on Tuesday. London and Middlesex County have not recorded daily double-digit case increases over this many consecutive days since mid-April. There were 17 cases reported each day on April 19 and April 20 and 11 cases on April 21. Among the latest cases is a person at École élémentaire La Pommeraie, a school within the area’s French board Conseil Scolaire Viamonde. Just like a case at Saunders Secondary reported Wednesday, this individual was at the school while infectious, the health unit said. Close contacts of the infected person have been notified and advised to quarantine for 14 days. “We have not determined if there is a link to the previous case reported at the school earlier this week, said Medical Officer of Health Dr. Chris Mackie. Given that it has been almost two weeks since this new case would have been infectious, it is encouraging that we have not had more reports of symptoms in members of the school community. We will be able to make a more complete determination as the investigation develops. With Thursday’s additional cases, the region’s total case count has risen to 932. Ten more infected people have recovered from the virus, bringing the area’s number of resolved cases up to 811. The death toll remains at 57 with no additional COVID linked deaths in the area since June 12. A new outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared at Peoplecare Oak Crossing. Ongoing outbreaks also remain at Earls Court Village, Mount Hope Centre for Long-Term Care, Meadow Park Care Centre, and Country Terrace. The health unit urged Londoners on Thursday to limit Thanksgiving gatherings to people living in their household and to avoid travel to COVID-19 hotspots in Ontario and Quebec. In Elgin and Oxford counties, there are now only two active cases. Southwestern Public Health, the health unit which oversees the two counties, reported no new COVID-19 cases Thursday, leaving the total case count unchanged at 273. Of those, 266 have been resolved and five people have died. Ontario broke a testing record Thursday, but also a record for the highest daily case count since the pandemic began. Public health officials reported 797 new infections over the last 24 hours. That is a significant increase over Wednesday’s 583 new cases. It also breaks the previous record high number of new infections set on October 2, when 732 cases were confirmed. The bulk of the new cases are located in Toronto, Peel, York and the nations capital. Toronto logged 265 new cases, Ottawa recorded 182, Peel had 134, and York Region reported 78. Of the new cases, 57 per cent are in people under the age of 40. Ontarios total case count is now 56,742. There were four additional death reported since Wednesday, bringing the provinces death toll up to 2,992. Recoveries are up by 695 and now stand at 48,308. Currently, 206 infected Ontarians are in hospital receiving treatment, with 47 in the intensive care unit. Over the last 24 hour period, the province conducted nearly 48,500 additional COVID-19 tests, the largest number it has completed in a single day during the pandemic.
Three potential COVID-19 exposure sites identified in Windsor-Essex - BlackburnNews.com
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit has disclosed three locations where people may have been exposed to coronavirus.
By Mark BrownOctober 6, 2020 4:58pmThe Windsor-Essex County Health Unit has disclosed three locations where people may have been exposed to coronavirus. On Tuesday afternoon, the health unit identified the Value Village store on Walker Road in Windsor. Exposure dates there are September 25 and 26. Two Walmart locations in Windsor-Essex are also on this list. The first is on Sandwich Street in Amherstburg with exposure dates each day between September 25 and September 30. The other location is on Dougall Avenue in Windsor. Exposure dates at that store are September 21 and September 26. No additional details have been released on any cases connected to these businesses. The health unit says the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low, but anyone who visited these locations on the listed exposure dates is asked to self-monitor themselves for two weeks from the date of exposure. The complete list of public exposure sites, and the criteria for disclosure, can be found at the official health unit website.
Second student at St. Clair College tests positive - BlackburnNews.com
The student's classmates have been told to self-monitor for symptoms for the next two weeks.
By Adelle LoiselleOctober 6, 2020 8:46amThe Windsor-Essex County Health Unit said the risk of transmitting COVID-19 to others at St. Clair College in Windsor is low, but it has confirmed a second student has tested positive for the virus. The student’s classmates have been told to self-monitor for symptoms for the next two weeks. The health unit does not think it is necessary for them to self-isolate, and labs will continue as scheduled at the college. The college has an extensive plan to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, including enhanced cleaning protocols, enforced physical distancing, mandatory face masks, and restrictions on gatherings. “The health and safety of our students and staff remain the paramount concern of the college’s administration,” said President, Patti France. “It can only be assured by the conscientious observance of the implemented safeguards by all of us. Doing so will continue to allow us to operate until the pandemic is alleviated.” Students and staff are also required to fill out an online questionnaire daily before coming to the campus. The college continues to consult with the health unit on best practices, and the student is being monitored by public health officials. The first student to contract COVID-19 at St. Clair College was diagnosed in August.
Interim proposal offered for operation of Sarnia airport - BlackburnNews.com
The operator of Sarnia's Chris Hadfield Airport has offered a proposal to the city.
By Melanie IrwinOctober 4, 2020 6:30amThe operator of Sarnia’s Chris Hadfield Airport has offered a proposal to the city. In a letter to city council, Scottsdale Aviation’s Clare Webb, is suggesting they continue their contract for a minimum of two years, or until it ends in June 2027, with the city paying operating costs. Mayor Mike Bradley said staff are recommending it be considered during budget deliberations December 1. “I’m of the view, until we get to a final determination on the future of the airport which will not take place now until 2021 when the new economic development office is established with a new economic development officer, that we need to ensure that the airport continues to operate for those that are using it right now” said Bradley. He said that may mean some subsidy. “We have received money from the federal government to help the city during the COVID crisis and my suggestion to council is we should be using some of that money to get the operators to continue to operate until we can make a final determination. My hope is that we would continue to keep the airport within the city family and find ways to operate it in a matter that is also responsible financially.” Bradley said council had a lot of “excellent” suggestions at its last meeting on how to keep the asset running. Air Canada announced in March that it was pulling out of Sarnia effective July 26.
CK MOH warns against large Thanksgiving gatherings - BlackburnNews.com
The medical officer of health in Chatham-Kent has a Thanksgiving warning.
By Paul PedroOctober 4, 2020 6:00amThe medical officer of health in Chatham-Kent has a Thanksgiving warning. Dr. David Colby said this is not the year to have large gatherings for Thanksgiving and they should be limited to immediate family and households to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Colby is asking hosts to limit the number of dinner guests. He is also asking hosts not to serve buffet-style meals but serve them on plates. Colby said he is worried about Thanksgiving travel from hotspots like the Toronto and the Ottawa areas spreading the virus in Chatham-Kent. “A number of outbreaks within households not only here in Chatham-Kent but around the province have been traceable to people that have come to family gatherings knowing that they were not feeling well and just hoping that everything would be OK,” said Colby. “No one cherishes family time more than I do but this is maybe not the year. Particularly if people are feeling ill, they should not be joining their family for Thanksgiving dinner.” Dr. Colby is asking people to have their turkey dinner outside if possible because it’s safer. He continues to warn the public that the virus is more hazardous indoors.
No new cases of COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton - BlackburnNews.com
Still three active cases of the virus.
By Rick BurrowsOctober 4, 2020 5:22amThere were no changes in the COVID-19 caseload Saturday. In it’s daily update Lambton Public Health reported there are 347 confirmed cases with 319 deemed resolved. There are three active cases and the death toll remains at 15. Ontario reported that there were 653 new cases of the virus Saturday with Toronto accounting for 284 of them.
One new active case of COVID-19 in Sarnia Lambton - BlackburnNews.com
There are 346 confirmed cases of the virus.
By Rick BurrowsSeptember 27, 2020 5:41amLambton Public Health reported one new active case of COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton Saturday night bringing the total to three. There are 346 confirmed cases of the virus, up one, with 318 cases resolved. The death toll remains at 25. Ontario reported 435 new cases of COVID-19 Saturday but no new deaths from the illness. The province has reported at least 400 new daily cases over seven of the last nine days.