Ubisoft devs say they fought playable torture scen
Ubisoft devs say they fought playable torture scenes and were told to minimise female protaganists - PCGamesN
Ubisoft devs offer more insight into the problems at the company, and how they affected both workers and Ubisoft's games
In June, Ubisoft began to address allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment at its worldwide studios. Now, a new report citing nearly 40 current and former Ubisoft employees has offered substantially more insight into the problems at the company, and the way those problems affected both workers and Ubisoft’s games. Numerous Ubisoft executives have been accused of either direct harassment of female employees or fostering a ‘frat house’ mentality at the company. In a new report from Bloomberg, employees say Ubisoft executives held business meetings at strip clubs, encouraged heavy drinking, and made disparaging comments about female colleagues. Chief creative officer Serge Hascoët, who stepped down from the company earlier this month, is one of the principal people accused of creating this culture. The report also indicates some ways these issues have affected Ubisoft’s games. Employees say that both Hascoët and Ubisoft’s marketing department shot down ideas for female protagonists, repeating the old videogame industry adage that women don’t sell. In early versions, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey was supposed to feature Kassandra as the sole protagonist, but devs were told that this was not an option – which is why we got the choice between Kassandra and Alexios. Similarly, Assassin’s Creed Origins was originally set to feature Aya much more prominently as a playable character. The original version would’ve had Bayek dead early in the story, but devs were allegedly forced to give Aya a reduced role. A similar decision is said to have been made regarding the dual protagonists of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. In the wake of the report, other former Ubisoft employees have addressed on social media other instances where executives forced changes in an effort to make games more marketable. According to one former Assassin’s Creed writer, a member of Ubisoft’s editorial board insisted in one instance that “the protagonist must be a STRAIGHT WHITE ALPHA MALE”. The gentleman from editorial said "the protagonist must be a STRAIGHT WHITE ALPHA MALE" and underlined it in red marker, stamping a foot, for emphasis. I was demoted over this issue, and quit. I trust this cannot be interpreted as "disparaging" since the studio was proud of it. https://t.co/PphYi94vxQ — Jill Murray (@disco_jill) July 21, 2020 In other instances, devs pushed back against inappropriate in-game content. An interactive torture scene in Splinter Cell Blacklist made it as far as motion capture before some developers successfully convinced the studio to remove it. In other games, content including a dog fight minigame, Native American ‘spirit quests’, and rape scene integrated with controller vibrations were other points of contention.
Other News by This Author
Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 3 release time detailed alongside “larger than normal” patch size - PCGamesN
Things are getting wet and wild for Fortnite soon
It’s time for Fortnite to once again launch a new rotation of seasonal content, after The Device went down and surrounded the map with a biblical flood. Now that we’re on the eve of the Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 3 release date, Epic has provided precise details on the resultant Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 3 release time and patch size. Downtime for Chapter 2 Season 3 will begin at 23:00 PDT on June 16, and 2:00 EDT / 7:00 BST on June 17. Expect downtime to last a handful of hours, during which you’ll be downloading the new patch. Epic warns that the patch size will be “larger than normal” owing to all the new content for the new season. We don’t yet have any concrete details on what to expect from Season 3, but all Epic’s teasers so far – not to mention the giant, incoming flood wall – have pointed to a waterlogged revision of the map. One of those teasers is a trident, which Aquaman actor Jason Momoa also posted on Instagram, offering a pretty strong hint that another DC crossover is on the way. For now, we’ll just have to wait and see. Note: With the launch of the new Season, patch sizes will be larger than normal. — Fortnite Status (@FortniteStatus) June 16, 2020 The world of battle royale games continues to grow, and Fortnite is still handily keeping pace.
New release date for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 4 has been leaked - PCGamesN
New guns, maps, and operator are supposedly coming
The rescheduled date for the next season of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Season 4, has been leaked. The turnover from Season 3 had been delayed so as to not overshadow or contend with the global protests surrounding racial injustice. Through data-mining the files of Season 3, per ModernWarzone, Twitter user Geekypastimes discovered that the ending date had been altered from June 2, to June 10. This would mean the change-over will occur at what is a regular time for new Call of Duty updates, in the evening of June 9 if you’re in the US, and in the morning of June 10 if you’re UK and Europe. Activision and Infinity Ward announced on Twitter that the regularly scheduled next season would be delayed indefinitely on June 2. “Right now it’s time for those speaking up for inequality, justice and change to be seen and heard,” the message reads. “We stand alongside you.” It was expected to roll-out sometime June 3, containing several new weapons and maps, and a new operator. The Galil and Vector are believed to be headed to your arsenal, Scrapyard among the new locations, and one Captain Price to be a playable character. In light of the current discussions about racial inequality, Infinity Ward has begun taking measures against racism in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s multiplayer and Warzone. Activision’s choice to delay the update came among a wave of rescheduling across the industry. Sony has an imminent PlayStation 5 event that still needs to be re-dated, potentially containing some exciting Bloodborne news.
Other News Canada
'Grey's Anatomy' will cover COVID-19 pandemic in upcoming Season 17 - Global News
'There’s no way to be a long-running medical show and not do the medical story of our lifetimes.' 'Grey's Anatomy' executive producer Krista Vernoff said.
Grey’s Anatomy‘s Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital will be taking on the coronavirus pandemic in the upcoming Season 17. Grey’s Anatomy executive producer Krista Vernoff revealed the news during Tuesday’s Television Academy’s “Quaranstreaming: Comfort TV That Keeps Us Going” panel. “Were going to address this pandemic for sure,” Vernoff said. “Theres no way to be a long-running medical show and not do the medical story of our lifetimes.” Read more: Greys Anatomy cast posts video thanking doctors fighting coronavirus pandemic Vernoff was joined by Grey’s Anatomy stars Chandra Wilson, who plays Dr. Miranda Bailey, and Kevin McKidd, who plays Dr. Owen Hunt, on the panel. She also shared that the show’s writers have been meeting with real-life doctors who are sharing their stories about working on the front lines during the pandemic. Story continues below advertisement “Every year, we have doctors come and tell us their stories, and usually theyre telling their funniest or craziest stories. This year, it has felt more like therapy,” she said during the panel. “The doctors come in and were the first people theyre talking to about these types of experiences theyre having. They are literally shaking and trying not to cry, theyre pale, and theyre talking about it as war a war that they were not trained for. “And thats been one of our big conversations about Owen, is that hes actually trained for this in a way that most of the other doctors arent.” Vernoff said it’s been “really painful” to hear about the doctors’ experiences and the suffering patients. “I feel like our show has an opportunity and a responsibility to tell some of those stories,” she added. Story continues below advertisement Read more: TV medical dramas give masks to hospitals to help fight coronavirus Shooting for Season 17 has not begun yet but Vernoff said the writers are already hard at work creating stories for the Grey’s Anatomy cast. “Our conversations have been constantly about how do we keep alive humour and romance while we tell these really painful stories,” Vernoff said. In March, the Grey’s Anatomy cast shared a video message to the real-life doctors and nurses fighting the COVID-19 pandemic to celebrate National Doctors Day (March 30). We wanted to say THANK YOU to every single health-care worker battling on the front lines of this pandemic. We are so grateful for your sacrifice, the caption read. The caption also announced that Barco Uniforms, the company that makes scrubs for Greys Anatomy, would be donating 10,000 scrubs per month to any health-care workers who need them. Head to their profile to get the info and tell everyone you know! the post read. Story continues below advertisement Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know: Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities. To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out. In situations where you can’t keep a safe distance from others, public health officials recommend the use of a non-medical face mask or covering to prevent spreading the respiratory droplets that can carry the virus. In some provinces and municipalities across the country, masks or face coverings are now mandatory in indoor public spaces. For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here. Story continues below advertisement View link » © 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Top bureaucrat says no red flags were raised in government about outsourcing $912M program to WE Charity - National Post
No evidence Trudeau had contact with WE Charity before deal awarded, top civil servant says
He also defended the public services recommendation that WE Charity run the student grant program instead of the public service, pointing out the government has partnered with other organizations during the COVID-19 crisis such as the Canadian Red Cross and United Way. Lets bear in mind that our system may have the public service at the federal and provincial municipal levels at the centre of providing public services, but its part of a complex system of civil society, organizations supporting these objectives, he said. The public service may be admirable, but its not everything. Shugart told the committee he will provide it with a comprehensive timeline of the discussions around the grant program and WE Charitys role in it, as well as communications about the program between the Privy Council Office, the Prime Ministers Office and the Finance Ministers office. Email: [email protected] | Twitter: btaplatt