Boxingscene.com United Kingdom
Mike Tyson Offered $20 Million By Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship - BoxingScene.com
Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is receiving offers left and right, after revealing that he's seriously considering the possibility of returning to the ring to take part in exhibition bouts to raise money for charity.
Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is receiving offers left and right, after revealing that he's seriously considering the possibility of returning to the ring to take part in exhibition bouts to raise money for charity. Tyson, who is actively working out and currently in top form, released a training clip last week that went viral on the internet. The 53-year-old Hall of Famer has been away from the ring since 2005, when he retired on the back of a knockout loss to Kevin McBride. Earlier this week, Tyson received a seven figure offer to take part in an exhibition fight in Australia, against one of several rugby players to turn boxers - like Sonny Bill Williams and Paul Gallen. But now David Feldman, President of Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship [BKFC], has presented a $20 million guarantee to secure Tyson for his organization. The offer would give Tyson the ability to choose his opponent, as long as that fighter is under contract with BKFC. Even if Tyson takes a pass on fighting in a Bare Knuckle format, Feldman is open to working with Tyson in any way possible. “While we did make a guaranteed offer of $20 million for Mike [Tyson] to fight for BKFC, we’re open to many different options as to how we can work together. Obviously, the excitement of seeing Mike’s video showing himself training and desire to participate in exhibitions inspired us to reach out and make the offer.” Feldman said to heavy.com. Feldman's company has showcased former champions like Paulie Malignaggi and Ishe Smith in bare knuckle fights. And they recently signed up former heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs, who vows to make his bare knuckle debut once the coronavirus pandemic dies down.
Wilder: I Felt Like A Zombie Against Fury; I Wasn't There From First Bell - BoxingScene.com
Deontay Wilder believes it should be obvious to anyone who watches footage of their rematch that he wasn’t his usual self from the opening bell of his second fight against Tyson Fury.
Deontay Wilder believes it should be obvious to anyone who watches footage of their rematch that he wasn’t his usual self from the opening bell of his second fight against Tyson Fury. Wilder felt like “a zombie” as soon as it started February 22 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. According to Wilder, his physical state enabled Fury to defeat the former WBC heavyweight champion as easily as he did that night. The 34-year-old Wilder (42-1-1, 41 KOs) detailed his condition during an interview with co-hosts Kenneth Bouhairie and Mike Rosenthal for the most recent episode of “The PBC Podcast.” “The thing about it that it’s easy to understand, you know, what type of person Deontay Wilder was in that moment in time, you know,” Wilder said. “Even when I took off my mask, and the things that I was doing, you know, I’ve been in this sport for a very long time, people have seen me fight, you know, all over the world for a very long time. So, people automatically knows, you know, how I am and, you know, how I should look. And people that know boxing know that wasn’t Deontay Wilder that night. I was a zombie that night. “It was something, like I said, I can’t talk about a lot of things, but it wasn’t Deontay Wilder [that] night. You can tell from the mask, my reaction to certain things that I was doing in the ring. You know, you can look from the first fight, into the second fight, and you can tell it was two different people, you know, that night. From a guy that from the first start of the bell was in retreat mode. The first fight, when the first [bell sounded], I was on the hunt. You know, you don’t go backwards. You go forward. And that night I wasn’t myself. I felt like a zombie in there.” Two days after Fury stopped Wilder in the seventh round, Wilder revealed to BoxingScene.com and other outlets that the 40-plus-pound costume he wore for a lengthy ring entrance weakened his legs before their scheduled 12-round rematch began. Wilder drew a lot of criticism for what was viewed as a weak excuse for his poor performance that night. Unlike their first fight, an assertive Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) pressured Wilder, roughed him up and kept the hard-hitting former champion moving backward for much of their rematch. Fury knocked down Wilder twice, once apiece in the third and fifth rounds. Referee Kenny Bayless stopped it in the seventh round, once Wilder’s assistant trainer, Mark Breland, threw in the towel. “No, I wasn’t surprised,” Wilder said regarding Fury’s approach to their rematch. “It’s hard to explain. [From] the first sound of the bell, it’s like I was more in retreat mode. It’s like I wasn’t even there for real. I don’t know how to say it without – I wasn’t there. That’s all I can tell you, I wasn’t there. From the first start, I wasn’t there. You know, my whole body, everything, you know, but it’s gonna be all right. “Everything’s gonna be all right, trust me, you know. And I’m just looking forward to coming back in there and doing what I gotta do. I don’t wanna say too much. I don’t wanna feel like I’m making any excuses or anything like that. I just want the people to know that I’m happy, I’m in full health and I’m coming back stronger than ever.” Fury and Wilder are tentatively scheduled to fight a third time October 3 at an undetermined venue. Their rematch initially was supposed to take place July 18 at MGM Grand Garden Arena, but it was pushed back due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.