Bradford Telegraph and Ar United Kingdom
CORONAVIRUS: NHS announces one more Bradford hospitals death - Bradford Telegraph and Argus
THERE has been one new reported death from coronavirus in hospitals in the Bradford district for the third day in a row.
THERE has been one new reported death from coronavirus in hospitals in the Bradford district for the third day in a row. NHS England announced in today's update that there was a further death reported from the COVID-19 virus at a hospital in the district. Today's reported death happened at Bradford Royal Infirmary (BRI). The death was on Thursday, June 18. There were no further deaths at Airedale General Hospital and Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust. It means it is the third day in succession there has been one new reported death in hospitals across the Bradford district. It is also the third day in a row that a new death has been reported at BRI. But there have been no new reported deaths from coronavirus at Airedale for almost two weeks now. The last deaths there were reported on Sunday, June 7 (two deaths). The total death toll at hospitals in the Bradford district now stands at 327 - 217 at BRI, 108 at Airedale and two at Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust. NHS England announced eight patients at hospitals in the North East and Yorkshire who tested positive for the coronavirus (Covid-19) have died. Seven of those were reported in hospitals in Yorkshire and the Humber - two in West Yorkshire (Bradford and Leeds), two in North Yorkshire (Harrogate and York) two in South Yorkshire (Doncaster and Rotherham) and one in the East Riding of Yorkshire (Hull). There was an extra 71 deaths reported today across England, taking the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in the country to 28,292. Patients in today's update were aged between 41 and 95-years-old. Most had underlying health conditions, but one patient (aged 68) had no known health issues. Their families have been informed.
Picture claiming to show staff from coronavirus-hit meat factory sparks social distancing debate - Bradford Telegraph and Argus
A PICTURE claiming to show staff at the coronavirus-hit Kober factory received attention on social media after news of the outbreak broke.
A PICTURE claiming to show staff at the coronavirus-hit Kober factory received attention on social media after news of the outbreak broke. Richard Smith said this picture was taken on April 8 outside the factory - the same day he posted it on Twitter and said: “They really just don’t get it!!!” The T&A has been unable to verify the date of the image but Mr Smith told the paper: “I just despair. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. “The staff came out and collected en masse at a time when we were at a heightened level of fear. “Nobody knew and still don’t know, if this infection got you, whether you would be one of the unfortunate or lucky ones.” Mr Smith claimed a worrying disregard for social distancing had been shown, which continued until this week. He claimed a police car visited the day after he sent the tweet and it then appeared that Kober employed a company to monitor and instruct staff. However, he claimed he had only seen monitors for a couple of weeks and said: “It has been just as bad since”. Mr Smith added: “No surprise they have now had an outbreak. “Maybe they will now get how serious this is, or not. Gates bolted and horses spring to mind.” One person replied to Mr Smith’s initial tweet saying: “So locals actually complained to Kober in April about the large gatherings of their workers after shift. “I saw them all piling out in large groups three weeks ago! So no change obviously...” Another person added: “The company should stagger shift changes. If you have a large workforce and don’t do this, a breakdown in physical distancing is inevitable.” The plant, which supplies bacon to Asda supermarkets and employs more than 500 people, has closed until next week. A joint statement issued by Asda and Kober on Thursday night, said there were “strict safety measures in place on the site”.
These vulnerable groups have been removed from the coronavirus shielding list - Bradford Telegraph and Argus
The UK Government has removed a number of vulnerable people from their coronavirus shielding list.
The UK Government has removed a number of vulnerable people from their coronavirus shielding list. Those who have been self-isolating from the virus for many weeks were informed by text message. The Shielded Patients List (SPL) was put in place to help the most vulnerable during the pandemic, but some people have now been informed they are no longer on the list - without being told by their doctors first. Who has been removed? People with cancer, liver disease and severe asthma are among those who have been removed from the shielding programme in England, along with liver transplant patients and people on immunosuppressant drugs. The news has sparked concern among those many patients, particularly since the text message informs the recipient that they will no longer qualify for government food parcels. Those who have been shielding have been entitled to receive parcels and special food deliveries from the government, leaving many worried about how they will cope. Messages confirmed as legitimate The government has confirmed that the texts are official. The message reads: “This is an update from the National Shielding Service. “We understand that your GP or hospital clinician has recommended that you no longer need to follow government advice to shield. “If you are receiving food delivered via the National Shielding Service, these will now be stopped. This will not affect your eligibility for a supermarket priority delivery slot, or any slots you already have in place.” The text then provides links to the government coronavirus support site, and urges people to seek medical help if they need to. Why have these people been removed? About 2.2 million people were on the government’s shielding list, according to reports dated May 15. Of those listed, 1.1 million are between the ages of 18 and 69, while 952,027 are aged over 70, and 92,663 are under 18. It is not yet known how many people have been removed from the list, after the texts were sent out on May 22. The British Liver Trust has advised people to continue to shield, even if they do receive a text, and wait until they have spoken to their doctor. Alison Cook, director of external affairs at Asthma UK and the British Lung Foundation, said the charities had heard from people with both severe asthma and lung disease who have received the text with no explanation. Some claim their doctor had also not been informed of the change. Ms Cook told The Sun: “This is an utter mess - some people have told us that they have received letters asking them to extend their shielding period to the end of June in line with government policy, while others have been requested to return to work before then. There doesn’t seem to be any evidence or logic behind these letters and texts. “We have requested urgent clarification from NHS England and call for patients and charities who provide advice and support to be involved in planning any future communication and strongly recommend that people’s GPs are kept informed about what their patients are being sent so they can provide advice.”