Home | Express & Star United Kingdom
The latest news, sport and entertainment from across the West Midlands and Staffordshire | Breaking news, in-depth features, videos, listings and more.
COVID-19 UK - baby shampoo could help protect against coronavirus says study - Express
COVID-19 cases are continuing to rise in the UK, with more than 700,000 confirmed cases and more than 40,000 deaths. While the race for a vaccine continues, researchers have claimed certain baby shampoos and mouthwashes could help protect against the virus.
Study lead Professor Craig Meyers said: “While we wait for a vaccine to be developed, methods to reduce transmission are needed. The products we tested are readily available and often already part of people’s daily routines.” As part of the study, researchers tested several everyday protects, including a 1 percent solution of baby shampoo, peroxide sore-mouth cleansers and mouthwashes. Each product was allowed to interact with the virus for 30 seconds, one minute and two minutes, before being diluted. The results showed the 1 percent baby shampoo solution, which is often used to rinse sinuses, inactivated more than 99.9 percent of the virus after two minutes. READ MORE: New coronavirus symptom reported in UK - how you should respond
Royal snub: Brutal way Prince William once dumped Kate - 'got the message' - Express
THE DUKE and Duchess of Cambridge's relationship has inspired royal fans everywhere. But a brutal revelation about how William once dumped Kate has emerged in a new biography.
“One pillar of William’s year at Sandhurst had been his regular Friday night escapes to Bucklebury, where he could collapse and be mothered by Carole — and also fathered by the quiet and affectionate Michael who, whisper it, could provide a better ear for confidences, on some issues, than Prince Charles.” Of course, as we know now it was never really over, and the couple got back together a matter of weeks later, when they were spotted at a party together in Dorset. Three years later the couple were to be engaged - announced in October 2010, William proposed to Kate during a safari in Kenya. He proposed with his late mother’s diamond and sapphire engagement ring.
Jurgen Klopp could field new-look Liverpool attack vs Everton because of one star - Daily Express
Liverpool return to Premier League action on Sunday when they face Merseyside rivals Everton.
Sacrificing Firmino to start Jota will mean a slight shift in the forward positions with Salah likely requiring to take the central role. The Egypt international tends to drift towards the middle anyway, especially when he's in the mood to get amongst the goals - which tends to be most of the time. With Salah playing more centrally with Mane and Jota on the wings, Liverpool's attack could have the potential to be more deadly than ever. Liverpool spent big money on Jota this summer so they clearly have strong belief in his abilities. And there's no better game to make an impact than the Merseyside Derby. Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
One new coronavirus death confirmed in Wolverhampton - expressandstar.com
One more coronavirus death has been reported at a hospital in the Black Country.
The patient died at the Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust, NHS figures released today revealed. The patient died on October 10. A total of 295 patients have now died at the trust, which runs New Cross and Cannock Chase hospitals. No new deaths were reported at other trusts in the region. It puts the Covid-19 death toll at hospitals in the Black Country, Birmingham and Staffordshire at 2,643. It comes as a further 36 people, who tested positive for coronavirus have died in England, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospital to 30,507. At Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust, which runs Sandwell and City hospitals, 394 coronavirus patients have died. At the Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs Walsall Manor Hospital 231 people have died. A total of 268 people have died at Dudley Group NHS Trust, which runs Russells Hall Hospital. The death toll at University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, which runs Stafford County and Stoke Royal hospitals, stands at 361. And at the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Trust a total of 1,023 patients have died. A further 705 people have died in care homes across the Black Country, Birmingham and Staffordshire. A spokesman from NHS England said: "A further 36 people, who tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19) have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 30,507. "Patients were aged between 31 and 97 years old. All but two patients aged 81 and 93 years old had known underlying health conditions. "Date of death ranges from October 8 to October 11, 2020 with the majority being on or after October 10. "Their families have been informed."
Brexit LIVE: French fishing captain threatens 'naval battles' if Boris Johnson walks away - Daily Express
A FRENCH fishing captain has threatened Boris Johnson with 'naval battles' if the Prime Minister walks away from Brexit negotiations without a deal.
Stéphane Pinto said the UK cannot “just click their fingers” and say the French “can’t fish in British waters any more”. It comes as the UK and EU’s chief negotiators, David Frost and Michel Barnier say they are inching towards a deal ahead of an October 15 deadline, but important gaps remain on fishing, level playing field issues and governance. Both sides have planned for a no deal Brexit. But Mr Pinto said the UK leaving the EU without a deal would create tensions” and warned it might even lead to “naval battles”. The deputy head of the fishermen’s committee of the northern region of Hauts-de-France told The Sunday Times: “They can’t just click their fingers and say we can’t fish in British waters any more. “We are talking about agreements going back decades. “The rest of Europe, the Dutch, the Belgians, the Danes and the other French fishermen will find themselves cohabiting in such a small geographical area that there will be greater pressure on resources. “Given everyone also uses different fishing techniques, it is going to create tension. It might even lead to naval battles.” 8.47am update: French fishermen 'better off with no deal' France's Minister of the Sea said French fishermen would be better off with no-deal rather than accepting "unacceptable" proposals by Britain in Brexit fishing talks. Girardin told the JDD newspaper: "So far, the UK has made unacceptable proposals. Fishermen would rather have no agreement than a bad agreement, and they are not wrong." 8.10am update: France sets Brexit deadline France's European affairs minister said the EU and Britain must reach an agreement on their post-Brexit ties by the start of November. But he warned the bloc would not accept a bad deal just for the sake of reaching a compromise. Clement Beaune told FranceInfo radio: "There needs to be an agreement in the coming weeks. That means around the beginning of November. "We must not lose our calm in the final days of negotiations because that is sometimes when bad concessions are made." 7.40am update: Businesses urged to prepare for Brexit Businesses have been urged to prepare for the end of the Brexit transition period, saying that they need to take action whether or not a trade deal with the EU is clinched. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said Britain won't extend the transition period, which ends on December 31, and that progress must be made to bridge significant gaps between the two sides in the coming days if a deal is to be struck.The business ministry argues that most of what businesses need to do is the same regardless of the outcome of the negotiations and has planned a series of sector specific webinars in October. Business minister Alok Sharma: "With just 81 days until the end of the transition period, businesses must act now to ensure they are ready for the UK's new start come January.There will be no extension to the transition period, so there is no time to waste."
Rafael Nadal explains 'lucky' element from Jannik Sinner French Open win - Express
Rafael Nadal continued his French Open charge with victory over Jannik Sinner on Tuesday.
Rafael Nadal believes there were lucky elements to his victory over Jannik Sinner. The Spaniard made the semi-finals of the French Open with a 7-6, 6-4, 6-1 triumph over his Italian opponent. And he’s now daring to dream of glory at Ronald Garros once again.Nadal has won a stunning 12 French Opens in 14 years, establishing himself as the best clay-court player ever in the process. And, on Monday, he reached the semi-finals of the tournament with a straight sets win over Sinner. Should Nadal win the French Open this year he’ll match Roger Federer’s record of 20 Grand Slams, with the Swiss star choosing to skip the competition. Yet the 34-year-old feels he was fortunate to overcome Sinner given he was broken in the second set, saying after the match: "Sinner is a very, very young talent with a lot of power, great shots. “For two sets it was tough, especially in the second set I was lucky to be back. "The conditions were a little bit difficult, he was hitting every ball very hard and with this cold, my speed is not there. It was hard for me to put him out of position. "It's just head down and try to improve, try to play hours after hours on court, which I need to do. We will see in 12 months where I am." Regarding Nadal, and Boris Becker has been impressed by the way he’s altered his game. “In an example of how Rafael Nadal is always prepared to adapt his game, it looks like he has been flattening out his strokes in the early rounds,” Becker told the Daily Mail. “Given the slow balls and conditions his usual heavy spin is not quite so effective, so he is hitting through the court more. “Before the tournament he complained about the balls, yet he and the other two main contenders have just gone about their business once the matches got underway.”
Notice this change in your voice lately? It could mean you are deficient in vitamin B12 - Express
VITAMIN B12 is an essential fuel for the body, powering a number of important processes. A telltale sign you're lacking the vitamin can show up in your voice.
Vitamin B12 performs two critical roles in the body - it helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA; the genetic material in all cells. It is little wonder having low B12 levels can cause the body to malfunction. The symptoms of which can show up in numerous areas of the body.Another oral manifestation was hoarseness - a general term that describes abnormal voice changes. If you are hoarse, your voice will sound breathy, raspy, or strained, or will be softer in volume or lower in pitch. The review also noted a number of "psychiatric abnormalities" associated with B12 deficiency. These included delusions, irritability, decreased interest and depression. DON'T MISSHow to live longer: A juice known to slow down the ageing process to boost longevity [TIPS]Hair loss treatment: Traditional plant for a healthier scalp to increase hair growth [ADVICE]Check your ankles - do they look like this? Heart attack warning sign [INSIGHT] Am I at risk of B12 deficiency? There are two leading causes of B12 deficiency - diet and pernicious anaemia. Pernicious anaemia is an autoimmune condition that prevents the body from making intrinsic factor - a protein made by the stomach and needed to absorb vitamin B12 in the intestine. According to the NHS, pernicious anaemia is the leading cause of B12 deficiency in the UK. Those following a strict vegan or vegetarian diet are also at a higher risk of B12 deficiency. There are two types of vitamin B12 injections:
What Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp thinks of Edinson Cavani with forward set to join Man Utd - Daily Express
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is a big fan of Edinson Cavani, who could be a Manchester United player by the end of the day.
Manchester United are closing in on a deal to sign Edinson Cavani on a free transfer as their second signing of the transfer window, and Jurgen Klopp is clearly a fan of the Uruguayan.Cavani is set to fly to Manchester today to undergo a medical at Carrington. The 33-year-old striker apparently agreed personal terms on Saturday over a potential move after talks between the club and his representatives. He looks set to become the club’s second signing of the summer transfer window – following Donny van de Beek through the door at Old Trafford. The veteran has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of his contract this summer, departing as the club’s all-time top goalscorer with 200 goals. United have been crying out for a new centre-forward since selling Romelu Lukaku without a replacement last summer, with Anthony Martial filling in last season. Cavani appears to be ready to come in as an alternative option for Martial, and will likely push Odion Ighalo down the pecking order. His arrival will give Ole Gunnar Solskjaer another option up front as he looks to guide United back towards challenging for the Premier League title. And clearly, Klopp is a big fan of the Uruguayan, as he expressed back in January that he didn’t want to face him in the Champions League.
Arsenal transfer news: Aouar pursuit over, star has medical ahead of exit, Partey latest - Daily Express
Arsenal are still looking to do transfer business before the deadline on Monday and Express Sport has all the latest from the Emirates.
With the transfer window closing in just a few days across Europe, time is running out for the Gunners to make any further additions to their squad. However, the club are said to have a few irons in the fire and are hopeful of concluding several deals this summer, alongside moving on a few of their current first-team squad. We look at all the latest transfer news surrounding the club. Torreira passes Atleti medical Lucas Torreira has undertaken his medical at Atletico Madrid ahead of joining on loan from Arsenal, but Marca report how Atleti must offload players first. The Spanish capital club are operating at the peak of their operating budget and cannot afford to sanction the Uruguayan’s wages before first-team departures. It is said by the report that Thomas Lemar and Hector Herrera are the two players who are on the market for Atleti, but Arsenal-target Thomas Partey. JUST IN: Man Utd close to transfer for defender but it won't make Woodward popular Aouar staying at Lyon Lyon star midfielder Houssem Aouar is a prime transfer target for Arsenal but the French club have ruled out his exit this window, report RMC Sport. Aouar is in the club’s squad to face Marseille this weekend and the club have briefed the media that he will not be leaving in this transfer window, and neither will his teammate Memphis Depay. Aouar had starred in Lyon’s run to the Champions League semi-finals last month and there had been optimism they could negotiate a deal this month, but that hope now appears to be gone. Lyon have previously ruled out the sales of star players, such as Alexandre Lacazette, before allowing them to leave - but a deal for Aouar now looks distant. DON’T MISSMan Utd submit new Jadon Sancho transfer offer [GOSSIP]Arsenal close to transfer announcement which may trigger Arteta deal [NEWS]Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp 'surprised' by Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele [GOSSIP]
Man Utd team news: Predicted 4-2-3-1 line-up to face Brighton including Van de Beek debut - Daily Express
Manchester United face Brighton in the Carabao Cup tonight.
Luke Shaw is set to be one of the numerous senior first-team players to be rested for tonight’s game, having played 90 minutes in both of United’s league games so far. In the middle of defence, Harry Maguire will likely keep his place in the team and captain the side, with Eric Bailly alongside him. Bailly is still returning to full fitness having suffered a knee injury last season, and played just seven minutes against Brighton on Saturday. Timothy Fosu-Mensah will more than likely play at right-back, while Dean Henderson will start in goal. Man Utd line-up vs Brighton (4-2-3-1): Henderson; Fosu-Mensah, Bailly, Maguire, Williams; Fred, McTominay; Mata, Van de Beek, Lingard; Ighalo This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here