The Telegraph - Telegraph India
Latest news, business, sport, comment, lifestyle and culture from the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph newspapers and video from Telegraph TV.
Children with a runny nose do not have coronavirus, expert says - The Telegraph
As demand for tests leaps, Professor Tim Spector says children aged under 18 display different set of virus symptoms to adults
Prof Spectors guidance contradicts that from the Department for Health, which continues to state that if a child has a new continuous cough, a high temperature or a change or loss to their sense of taste or smell they should be tested for coronavirus. A letter circulated to all schools at the beginning of term outlined the same set of symptoms as the basis for getting a test. The symptom tracker, which is used by four million people, has revealed that the majority of children who test positive for Covid-19 suffer from fatigue and a headache. Around half have a fever, while more than a third have a sore throat and a loss of appetite. One in six children have an unusual skin rash while a third have none of the 20 potential symptoms listed on the app, suggesting they are asymptomatic. By comparison, almost 90 per cent of adults have the virus report fatigue, while nearly three quarters have a headache and around half, a persistent cough and a sore throat. Prof Spector wrote on Twitter that the Government appeared reluctant to widen the meagre" list of symptoms in case it increased demand for testing, even though it was inappropriate for children. He said more clarity was needed to deter people from trying to get a test, stressing that even the three main symptoms for adults - a continuous cough, a fever and loss of smell - had to be dramatic to be Covid. Its a persistent headache that lasts a few days, the fatigue is not just that you need to sit down, but that you cant get out of bed, he told the Telegraph. He said he thought the Government was too worried about confusing the public to change the messaging but that we had ended up with a lot of panic and hardly any cases in some areas - such as the south west and the south east.
Oxford coronavirus vaccine ready to roll out in October under 'best scenario' - Telegraph.co.uk
One-month delay means Britain edging closer to winter flu season, and possibility of a second coronavirus peak, without a vaccine
Although it is not yet known how long the vaccine would last, it is thought likely to be needed annually, like the flu jab, because a slightly different version of the virus may come seasonally. Last month, Alok Sharma, the Business Secretary, said Britain would be the first country in the world to get a vaccine should trials be successful, and announced an extra £84 million in funding to accelerate research. The Oxford vaccine is currently furthest along in human trials of all the vaccines in development, and Professor Sara Gilbert, leading the research, predicted that it could be ready by the early autumn. Speaking earlier this month, Prof Gilbert said the trials may need to move to other countries because infection rates were now so low in Britain that it was hard to know if the vaccine was working. "We had hoped to have enough people vaccinated before the outbreak reached a peak, but the virus spread rapidly, triggering a lockdown, and rates of infections are now falling," she told United Nations ambassadors. "Unless some of the trial participants do become infected, we cannot know that the vaccine is effective. "We are thus focusing on vaccinating healthcare workers, as they have the highest rates of virus infections. Further, as measures to ease the lockdown are being introduced, transmission may rise again. "We need to manufacture more vaccine for the trials, and plan to start trials in more than one country to give ourselves the best chance of determining vaccine efficacy." The UK's first Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre in Harwell, Oxfordshire, will be operational by next summer, and able to produce enough vaccines for the whole population within six months.
Chelsea players hoping to negotiate wage cuts lower than Premier League's suggested 30 per cent - Telegraph.co.uk
Players, who are negotiating through captain Cesar Azpilicueta, would rather take a cut of around 10 per cent
Chelsea are in talks with their players over wage cuts, with the squad hoping to negotiate a reduction lower than the 30 per cent suggested by the Premier League. It is understood the players, who are negotiating through captain Cesar Azpilicueta, would rather take a cut of around 10 per cent to help save Chelsea money during the coronavirus crisis. Premier League clubs agreed at the start of April to consult their players on 30 per cent cuts and deferrals, but players across the country have not been happy with that proposal. Chelseas London rivals Arsenal are set to agree their players take a 12.5 per cent pay cut, with the proviso of a number of potential future bonuses. Director Marina Granovskaia is handling the negotiations with the Blues squad, which are said to be taking place amicably and in an understanding manner on both sides even though an agreement is yet to be struck. Chelseas players have already made what was described as a sizeable donation to the clubs foundation to go to charities to support the vulnerable during the coronavirus pandemic. Head coach Frank Lampard could also take a pay cut once an agreement is reached with his squad. In the latest accounts, it was revealed Chelseas wage bill had increased by 17 per cent to £285 million a year, which was the sixth highest in European football and the third largest in England behind Manchester United and Manchester City. With no date set for a return to training or a restart to the season, Chelsea have moved to try to save money just over a month since the Premier League was suspended. Willian, who is one of four first-players whose contracts are due to expire on June 30, is currently in Brazil after being allowed to travel back to his home country to be with his wife and children. As well as Willian, Chelsea have Olivier Giroud, Pedro Rodriguez and Willy Caballero coming to the end of their contracts, which potentially puts them in a difficult position. Fifa have recommended that clubs can give their players short-term extensions to complete the season, but national employment law means they can, in theory, walk away on June 30. Chelsea have not furloughed any non-playing staff and confirmed they will help their casual employees by paying them in full for the fixtures that have been postponed, including matches against Aston Villa, Bayern Munich and Leicester City. Those payments will be funded entirely by the club and will go to the support staff who help on matchdays, benefitting stewards, hospitality, ground staff and the raffle sellers outside the ground. Former players and club legends who work in the premium seating areas, including the likes of Ron Harris, Gary Chivers, Paul Canovile, Kerry Dixon and Bobby Tambling, will also receive payment. Chelsea have already given up their Millennium Hotel at Stamford Bridge to NHS staff, who are being provided with rooms and breakfast. The club are providing 78,000 meals to the NHS and charities that support the elderly and vulnerable groups, and have teamed up with Refuge, the domestic abuse charity, to raise funds for those suffering during the pandemic. Head coach Frank Lampard said: Im very proud to be the manager of this club with the way Chelsea have handled it. They were very quick to respond with the help of the hotel and theres a lot more work going on with the foundation, with link-ups and with getting in touch with fans. There are a lot of people at Chelsea who have really stood up.