CBS Local Saudi Arabia
‘Completely And Utterly Messed Up’: Video Of Fatal Arrest Shows MPD Officer Kneeling On Man’s Neck For At Least 7 Minutes - CBS Minnesota
The FBI has been called to investigate after a man died Monday night in south Minneapolis after an encounter with police.
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The FBI has been called to investigate after a man died Monday night in south Minneapolis after an encounter with police.In a statement early Tuesday, police described what happened as a medical incident. However, a video posted on social media shows an officer kneeing a man’s neck to the ground for at least seven minutes. Before he goes unconscious, the man, who is black and unarmed, repeatedly tells officers he can’t breathe. At a press conference Tuesday morning, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey alluded to the graphic footage, saying: “I believe what I saw, and what I saw was wrong at every level.” The mayor added: “Being black in America should not be a death sentence.” Thread: Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey calls the incident with a 40-something year old black man who died while under arrest “wrong on every level.” A FB video shows an MPD officer pinning the man down as he says he can’t breathe. “This does not reflect the values of MPD.” #wccopic.twitter.com/f9T6mvMkPI — Christiane Cordero (@ChristianeWCCO) May 26, 2020 According to police, officers responded shortly after 8 p.m. Monday to the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South, where a man was reportedly trying to use forged documents at Cup Foods. At the scene, police found the man, who appeared to be in his 40s and intoxicated, in a blue car. Officers told him to get out. Their body cameras were running. “After he got out, he physically resisted officers,” police spokesman John Elder told reporters early Tuesday. “Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and officers noticed that the man was going into medical distress.” An ambulance brought the man to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he died shortly after, police say. His name has not been released. The video posted to social media shows an encounter between Minneapolis police and a man outside Cup Foods. In the nine-minute video, an officer can be seen kneeling on a man’s neck at the side of a squad car. The man can be heard groaning and repeatedly telling police he can’t breathe. (credit: Darnella Frazier) “He’s not even resisting arrest right now, bro,” one bystander tells the officer and his partner. “You’re f—ing stopping his breathing right now, you think that’s cool?” After about five minutes, the man appears to go unconscious. The bystanders ask for someone to check his pulse. The officer does not lift his knee from the man’s neck until medical personnel arrive a few minutes later and carry him away. At the Tuesday morning press conference with the mayor, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo did not address the video specifically, but did say that he received information from the community that prompted him to reach out to the FBI. The investigation is now being led by federal authorities. The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is also involved. The two Minneapolis officers who responded to the incident are on “relieved of duty status,” the police chief said. This is different from the typical administrative leave, but is still paid with no law enforcement duties. At least one protest is planned for Tuesday night at the scene of the incident. It is being organized by a number of local activist groups, including the Minneapolis NAACP, Communities Against Police Brutality, and Black Lives Matter Twin Cities. The mayor urged protesters to remain mindful of COVID-19 while demonstrating. It was noted that the two officers on the social media video were not wearing face masks during the encounter. Frey also expressed his condolences to the man’s family and the black community. “He should not have died,” the mayor said. My remarks delivered earlier this morning and video below. https://t.co/qC2IgWdm1Tpic.twitter.com/XWXhSygaCY — Mayor Jacob Frey (@MayorFrey) May 26, 2020 Across the Mississippi River, St. Paul Mayor Melvin Cater tweeted Tuesday about the video, calling it “one of the most vile and heartbreaking images I’ve ever seen.” He called for both officers to be held fully accountable. “This must stop now,” he said. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar also issued a statement, calling for immediate action. “There must be a complete and thorough outside investigation into what occurred, and those involved in this incident must be held accountable,” she said. “Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, justice must be served for our country.” The video of a Minneapolis police officer killing a defenseless, handcuffed man is one of the most vile and heartbreaking images I’ve ever seen. The officer who stood guard is just as responsible as his partner; both must be held fully accountable. This must stop now. — Mayor Melvin Carter (@MayorCarter) May 26, 2020
Coronavirus Report: University Of Minnesota Researchers Say Pandemic Could Last Up To 2 Years - CBS Minnesota
A new report from researchers at the University of Minnesota says we may need to prepare for the impacts of COVID-19 for the next two years.
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A new report from researchers at the University of Minnesota says we may need to prepare for the impacts of COVID-19 for the next two years. Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the U of M, was one of several experts detailing three possible scenarios. He says we need to understand that we are only at the beginning of the pandemic. He compared it to being in the second inning of a nine inning baseball game. The report lays out the three scenarios, the first has the virus coming back in peaks or valleys over a year or two, requiring social distancing measures each time it peaks. The second would be a much larger peak this fall – which would require another quarantine. A third scenario shows a “slow burn” of illness, but not at a rate that would overwhelm hospitals. “We are in this for the long hall. We’ve been saying for some time, ‘this is not just get over this hump right now’ and then we’re back it,” Osterholm said. “We are surely looking at how to reopen our state relative to what we’ve been through. But we’re going to be back at this multiple times between now and the next several years.” Researchers say that whichever scenario the pandemic follows, “we must be prepared for at least another 18 to 24 months of significant COVID-19 activity, with hot spots popping up periodically in diverse geographic areas.” Osterholm says a vaccine could save us, but he says we won’t have one for at least another 10 to 14 months.
Coronavirus In Minnesota: Worthington Pork Plant Idled By Growing COVID-19 Cases - CBS Minnesota
JBS processes 20,000 hogs each day, so sitting idle will certainly have a huge economic impact for the region.
WORTHINGTON, Minn. (WCCO) — After a handful of workers at the JBS pork processing plant came down with COVID-19, health experts jumped into action. A team of MDH investigators went to Worthington Friday to help determine how widespread the outbreak had become. I think at the rate it’s going I don’t know how we can avoid it,” United Food and Commercial Workers local 663 president Matt Utech said. Utech, who represents workers at the plant, says steps were already underway to help stop the spread. JBS had initiated screening all workers, overnight sanitizing of the plant and even slowing production to further distance employees. But when 33 of the plant’s 2,000 employees tested positive by Sunday evening, JBS was urged to cease operations. “The handwriting was on the wall so to speak. This had the potential to grow significantly larger than it currently is,” Utech said. The company and Minnesota Department of Health was desperately attempting to prevent a wider outbreak. Fearful of the outbreak hitting the Smithfield pork processing plant 60 miles west in Sioux Falls. That plant is now closed and has seen 891 employees infected with COVID-19. JBS processes 20,000 hogs each day, so sitting idle will certainly have a huge economic impact for the region. “So much of our economy is tied to the ag business, which revolves around livestock production,” Worthington city administrator Steve Robinson said. But just how severe depends on how long the closure lasts. Worthington’s JBS is not only a major employer in the region, it also impacts area farmers, feed mills and other related industries. “We have three pharmaceutical companies here in town that produce antibiotics and vaccines for livestock. They’re located here in large part because of the livestock industry,” Robinson said. At the union’s urging, JBS will give furloughed workers full pay and health benefits. Hopeful of soon restoring both workers’ health and the nations vital food supply.
Maryland Weather: Strong Winds, Severe Storms Possible On Monday - CBS Baltimore
Strong winds and severe weather are possible for parts of Maryland on Monday.
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Strong winds and severe weather are possible for parts of Maryland on Monday.Severe storms could hit parts of the state late Monday morning and into the early afternoon. The main threats are damaging winds, large hail and tornadoes. Almost all of Maryland is under a slight risk for severe weather; areas of extreme southern Maryland and into Virginia are under an enhanced risk. A storm system will continue to strengthen Sunday evening as it crosses through the Mississippi Valley and progresses toward the Eastern Seaboard. As this system moves into the mid-Atlantic, a significant severe weather event is likely. South winds Sunday have brought in warm, moist air that continues to prime the atmosphere for strong storms as the system approaches. The key timing for severe weather Monday is 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. Steady rain will develop in the overnight hours and low temperatures will be mild — in the upper 50s. Steady showers will begin overnight with some locally heavy downpours. A warm front will move across the state between around 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. and a cold front will follow later in the day. As this large system exits the region, strong winds will persist in its wake. For this reason, wind advisories and high wind warnings have been posted across the state. Parts of central Maryland could see gusts up to 55 mph through 6 p.m. Monday. Areas under the high wind warning could see gusts up to 60 mph through Monday evening. Ahead of the possible storms, the National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory for the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. areas as well as Baltimore, Carroll, Charles, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Washington counties from 4 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday. Elsewhere, high wind warnings will take effect Monday for Anne Arundel and Prince George’s counties, far western Maryland and the Eastern Shore. The strong winds could cause tree limbs to be blown down and a few power outages could occur. The northern part of the Chesapeake Bay is under a gale warning, while the lower part of the bay and the mouth of the Potomac River are under a storm warning. Isolated flooding is also possible; a coastal flood watch will take effect for the coasts of Baltimore, Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County Monday morning. Tides could reach 2.5 feet above normal. People who park their cars near the waterfront in Baltimore should move them to higher ground, the city’s Office of Emergency Management said Sunday evening. A parking garage at 501 South Eden Street will have free parking for area residents while the flooding risk lasts. On its website, BGE said Sunday night it’s monitoring the storm system and has crews ready to go if power outages are reported. Baltimore’s public works department is asking people to clear the storm drains near their home before the storms hit, if possible. They’re also recommending people secure their trash cans and large items like outdoor furniture. WJZ will bring you the latest weather updates on-air and online as the storm moves closer. Stay up-to-date with the latest forecast by downloading the WJZ weather app.
Coronavirus In Minnesota: State Health Officials Pull Curtain Back On COVID-19 Modeling - CBS Minnesota
Leaders will continue to look to the models as a guide, and they say we can expect more refinement and enhancing of the formula in the coming weeks.
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It wasn’t the only thing, but one of the factors in Gov. Tim Walz’s decision to extend the stay-at-home order was what the state’s health models are predicting. “It has its place. It’s not magic, it’s just one of the tools,” Stefan Gildemeister said. The model predicts the number of daily cases, how many people are in ICUs, and how many Minnesotans die. These projections come from known data being plugged into the model. The good news is that every passing day brings more of that data. “As more evidence emerges, our inputs will become better. We will learn more about the disease, and more importantly, we will learn more about the disease in Minnesota,” Stefan Gildemeister said. The latest version of Minnesota’s model projects 9,000 to 30,000 deaths, with the peak coming somewhere in the next 13 to 21 weeks. That’s with close to the current stay-at-home order. Compare that to what the model shows with no social distancing, up to 68,000 deaths, and a peak that could come in 5 weeks, potentially overwhelming hospitals. “There is a lot of work going on between the healthcare industry and the administration to bring the number of ICU beds up,” Stefan Gildemeister said. The important grain of salt with all of this. Models always have uncertainty. It’s like forecasting the weather, focus on the fact that snow is coming, not the exact number of inches. “They are designed to give you an idea of trends, and a range of solutions,” WCCO’s Mike Augustyniak explained. Leaders will continue to look to the models as a guide, and they say we can expect more refinement and enhancing of the formula in the coming weeks.