BuzzFeed News | Breaking United States of America
BuzzFeed News has breaking stories and original reporting on politics, world news, social media, viral trends, health, science, technology, entertainment, and LGBTQ issues.
The Victims Of Canada's Worst Mass Shooting Include A Veteran Mountie, A Family Of Three, And A Teacher - BuzzFeed News
“This happened in small towns," said Prime Minister Justice Trudeau of the shooting which killed 18. "Places where people know their neighbors and look out for each other."
A veteran of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, a family of three, and an elementary school teacher were among at least 18 people killed this weekend in the worst mass killing in modern Canadian history. The shooter's 12-hour rampage began Saturday night in the quaint coastal village of Portapique in Nova Scotia and stretched almost 60 miles away to the suburbs of Halifax, where the suspect died after being apprehended by police. This happened in small towns," Prime Minister Justice Trudeau said during a Monday address. "Places where people have deep roots. Places where people know their neighbors and look out for each other." The gunman, Gabriel Wortman, was able to elude capture in part because he was traveling in a mock Royal Canadian Mounted Police cruiser that looked identical" to the real thing, Chief Superintendent Chris Leather of the RCMP said during a Monday press conference. The shooter was also wearing clothes that were either actual uniforms or very good facsimiles of RCMP uniforms. Wortman had been obsessed with policing since high school, and indulged in buying police memorabilia and old police cruisers, according to the Globe and Mail. The fact that this individual had a uniform and a police car at his disposal certainly speaks to it not being a random act, said Leather. As of Monday, police were investigating 16 crime scenes scattered across the maritime province. In addition to shooting his victims, the gunman also set fire to several homes. Among the first victims to be identified was Const. Heidi Stevenson, a 23-year veteran of the RCMP and a mother of two young children. "I met with Heidi's family, and there are no words to describe their pain," Lee Bergerman, commanding officer for the RCMP in Nova Scotia, said during a press conference on Sunday. "Two children have lost their mother and a husband his wife. Parents lost their daughter, and countless others lost an incredible friend and colleague." Stevenson was killed while responding to the active shooter. The RCMP has declined to release any further details so far. She died protecting others, Prime Minister Trudeau said Monday. She was answering the call of dutysomething she had done every day she went to work for 23 years. Also among the dead were Emily Tuck, a 17-year-old aspiring musician, and her parents, Jolene Oliver and Aaron Tuck. Though details surrounding their deaths remain scarce, according to Tammy Oliver-McCurdie, Oliver's sister, their bodies were discovered in their home. "I will miss you so much," wrote Oliver-McCurdie on Facebook. "I don't know who I will call to chat for hours, solve world problems and laugh at crazy stuff." On April 6, Jolene Oliver posted a video of her and Aaron Tuck, enjoying one of the few silver linings of the coronavirus lockdown: more time together. "Good evening everybody, we're sitting at home like y'all should be and we're going to rock this shit," said Aaron Tuck with a big grin on his face. "Have a good time with your family. This is what it's all about. We'll never get this chance again." Earlier during the lockdown, Aaron Tuck shared a video of his daughter Emily playing the fiddle. The death of Lisa McCully, a mother of two and an elementary school teacher, was confirmed by her sister Jenny Kierstead. "This is so hard to write but many of you will want to know" Kierstead wrote on Facebook on Sunday. "Our hearts are broken today as we attempt to accept the loss of my sister, Lisa McCully, who was one of the victims of the mass shooting in Portapique last night." Paul Wozney, the president of the Nova Scotia Teachers Union, also remembered McCully in a statement posted to Facebook on Sunday: 9,300 NSTU hearts are broken along with those of her colleagues and students at Debert Elementary, as well as her family and friends who knew her not only as a passionate teacher but as a shining love in their lives. "She was somebody who taught from the heart," Wozney told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. "She taught her kids not just the curriculum but teaching about virtues and personal qualities." On Monday afternoon, Trudeau offered his condolences to the families of those killed and vowed to support them. "Such a tragedy should never have occurred," said Prime Minister Trudeau. "We stand with you, and we grieve with you, and you can count on our government's full support during this incredibly painful time."
Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Are Cutting Off Four Major UK Tabloids - BuzzFeed News
Harry and Meghan said they and their communications team will no longer engage with the Mail, the Sun, the Mirror, and the Express.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (aka Prince Harry and Meghan Markle) are cutting off four major UK tabloids, saying in a letter sent Sunday night to the editors of the Mail, the Sun, the Express, and the Mirror that they will no longer "offer themselves up as currency for an economy of clickbait and distortion." "There will be no corroboration and zero engagement," they said in the letter, which noted that the Sussexes' communications teams in both the US and the UK would be implementing this policy. Harry and Meghan officially stepped back as working members of the royal family on April 1. The Sussexes have cited the intense and unfair, they said tabloid media scrutiny as one of the reasons for this decision. In the letter Sunday night, Harry and Meghan emphasized that their decision about cutting off the four tabloids was "not in any way a blanket policy for all media." "This policy is not about avoiding criticism. Its not about shutting down public conversation or censoring accurate reporting. Media have every right to report on and indeed have an opinion on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, good or bad. But it cant be based on a lie." "It is gravely concerning that an influential slice of the media, over many years, has sought to insulate themselves from taking accountability for what they say or print even when they know it to be distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason," they said. "When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded." "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know as well as complete strangers have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue." "There is a real human cost to this way of doing business and it affects every corner of society." The full letter sent to the editors of the Mail, the Sun, the Express, and the Mirror: As The Duke and Duchess of Sussex now settle into the next chapter of their lives and no longer receive any publicly funded support, we are writing to set a new media relations policy, specifically as it pertains to your organization.Like you, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe that a free press is a cornerstone to any democracy particularly in moments of crisis. At its best, this free press shines light on dark places, telling stories that would otherwise go untold, standing up for whats right, challenging power, and holding those who abuse the system to account. It has been said that journalisms first obligation is to the truth. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex agree wholeheartedly. It is gravely concerning that an influential slice of the media, over many years, has sought to insulate themselves from taking accountability for what they say or printeven when they know it to be distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason. When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded. There is a real human cost to this way of doing business and it affects every corner of society. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they knowas well as complete strangershave their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue. With that said, please note that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be engaging with your outlet. There will be no corroboration and zero engagement. This is also a policy being instated for their communications team, in order to protect that team from the side of the industry that readers never see. This policy is not about avoiding criticism. Its not about shutting down public conversation or censoring accurate reporting. Media have every right to report on and indeed have an opinion on The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, good or bad. But it cant be based on a lie. They also want to be very clear: this is not in any way a blanket policy for all media. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to working with journalists and media organizations all over the world, engaging with grassroots media, regional and local media, and young, up-and-coming journalists, to spotlight issues and causes that so desperately need acknowledging. And they look forward to doing whatever they can to help further opportunities for more diverse and underrepresented voices, who are needed now more than ever. What they wont do is offer themselves up as currency for an economy of clickbait and distortion. We are encouraged that this new approach will be heard and respected. This is a developing story. Check back for updates and follow BuzzFeed News on Twitter.