Android Authority United States of America
Android News blog dedicated to providing expert tips, news, reviews, Android Phones, Android Apps, Android Tablet, Rooting & Howtos.
It’s official: Google has acquired Fitbit (Update: DOJ is still investigating) - Android Authority
Update: Although Google and Fitbit affirmed the deal is done, the US Department of Justice is still looking into it.
- The long-gestating Google Fitbit deal is now complete.
- In its announcement of the news, Google emphasized that the deal is about devices, not data.
- Fitbits CEO also emphasized that user data will not be used for Googles ad revenue, and assured users many of the things they know and love will stay the same.
Report: Samsung is hedging its bets on the cheaper Galaxy S21 model - Android Authority
The Korean firm is reportedly backing its more affordable horse in the 2021 flagship race.
- Samsung will reportedly focus on the base Galaxy S21 rather than its more expensive siblings.
- It has dedicated 60% of its production capacity to the vanilla model.
- It will also reportedly drop the pricing of the Galaxy S21 series in South Korea to below the Galaxy S20 line.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus appears in 'unofficial review' video - Android Authority
Here's the Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus in all its flagship glory.
- A YouTube channel has put out an unofficial review video for the Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus.
- The video reveals a bunch of key specs and features of the flagship.
Samsung Galaxy Note series could get one last phone before its demise - Android Authority
Samsung's next Galaxy Note phablet could be its last.
- Samsung could launch at least one Galaxy Note series phone next year.
- This could be the last Galaxy Note before Samsung puts the series out to pasture.
- The phone is expected to debut in the second half of 2021.
Samsung W21 5G brings Galaxy Z Fold 2 specs in a larger body - Android Authority
It also has a flashier metallic gold design.
- Samsung has launched a new phone akin to the Galaxy Z Fold 2 but with a taller body.
- Its called the Samsung W21 5G and features a metallic gold finish.
- The foldable phone is only available in China right now.
Xiaomi introduces 80W wireless charging: Go from 0% to 100% in 19 mins - Android Authority
Get up to 50% juice in just over eight minutes.
- Xiaomi has announced its new 80W wireless charging tech.
- It promises to top-up a 4,000mAh battery in just 19 minutes.
- Theres no word on when the tech will become commercial, but we expect it on the next Mi flagships.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week - Android Apps Weekly - Android Authority
The 349th Android Apps Weekly is out! This week is a big, heaping dose of Google news along with some other apps news too!
Welcome to the 349th edition of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- Google re-branded its G Suite package to Google Workspace. Its functionally the same stuff. Google plans to include more collaborative features in the future and that apparently warranted a name change. Additionally, Google expanded pricing for small and large firms along with a few other changes. You can find out everything you need to know about it here.
- Google is adding some clearer account alert notifications this week in several of its apps in the near future. The purpose is to better communicate to people when something is actually really wrong versus when something is just kind of wrong. The alerts are improving in a variety of Google apps. Hit the link to learn more.
- The App Store and Google Play debacle continued this week in two separate stories. The first was a House report in the US that said Facebook, Google, Apple, Amazon, and other companies have monopoly power and should be separated out a bit to prevent actual monopolies. We highly recommend hitting the above link to read more about that because there is a lot of info. Additionally, Google chose to defer its 30% mandatory commission in India for the time being due to retaliation from Indian start-ups.
- Nvidia wants to tackle some of the issues with video calling. It launched a new developer platform, Nvidia Maxine, this week to help with that. The platform helps with things like eye correction, face alignment, and other small things to make video chatting a little better. It can also upscale 360p video to 720p pretty reliably, adds in virtual backgrounds, filters out background noise, and even translate language in real time. It could be a really big deal for video chat apps and services.
- Google Assistant had some big announcements this week. The first is making Google Assistant work better with smart displays by letting people buy things straight from them and some other neat features. Additionally, Google announced deeper integration with third party apps, kicking it off with partnerships with 30 apps, including popular ones like Discord and Walmart. Hit the various links to learn more.
Google Pixel 5 alternatives: Galaxy S20 FE, OnePlus 8, and more - Android Authority
From Samsung to Apple to Google itself, there are plenty of great Pixel 5 alternatives worth considering.
Weve known about it for months, but the Google Pixel 5 is finally official. Coming in at $699, the new Google flagship sacrifices a bit of power on paper to deliver a lower price, 5G, and flagship-level features in other areas. What if you want more value for money? Or maybe you simply want a world-class phone regardless of price? Join us as we look at some of the best Google Pixel 5 alternatives you can get your hands on. 1. OnePlus 8
- More powerful processor for advanced games and apps.
- Faster wired charging, but no wireless charging.
- Available in many major markets.
- The Pixel 5G experience for $200 less.
- Same processor and dual rear camera setup, but lacking in other areas.
- Available in North America, Europe, and several other markets (not India)
- A more powerful chipset for games and performance in general.
- Motion Sense gestures and face unlock, but no fingerprint scanner.
- Missed India and several other markets due to use of Soli radar technology.
- Flagship power and a 120Hz OLED screen.
- Triple rear camera, wireless charging and water resistance too.
- Available in loads of markets.
- Ticks many boxes for a flagship (powerful, water resistance, wireless charging)
- Apple tends to support its iPhones for roughly five years.
- Available in a wide variety of locales.
- Flagship horsepower and a 144Hz LCD screen.
- Big battery but no wireless charging or water resistance.
- Readily available in the likes of Europe and Asia, but not North America.
- Snapdragon 865 processor and 90Hz OLED makes for a smooth combo.
- Super-fast wired charging tops you up in just over half an hour.
- No official US availability.
- Much like the Pixel 5, has a Snapdragon 765G, water resistance, and wireless charging.
- Also packs a headphone port and support for Dual Screen case.
- Available in many markets (including Europe and North America)
Samsung Unpacked Part 2: Watch the Galaxy Z Fold 2 live launch here - Android Authority
Galaxy Z Fold 2 incoming. What more could Samsung announce?
- Samsung will host its Unpacked Part 2 virtual event today.
- The company will announce more details about the Galaxy Z Fold 2.
- The event will start at 10 AM ET.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 price leaks ahead of launch - Android Authority
Thankfully, it's cheaper than the original Fold.
- Samsungs own UK website just leaked the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 price.
- The price is £1,799, about £100 cheaper than last years Galaxy Fold.
- The phone comes in one storage size and two colors: Mystic Bronze and Mystic Black.