WhatsApp has rolled out the restriction of single
WhatsApp has rolled out the restriction of single chat forwards for viral messages - Android Police
Misinformation spreads faster than facts these days. The juicier and the more outrageous a story is, the more likely it is to run around social networks
This story was originally published 2020/04/07 6:41am PDTon Apr 7, 2020 and last updated 2020/04/13 5:24am PDTApr 13, 2020. Misinformation spreads faster than facts these days. The juicier and the more outrageous a story is, the more likely it is to run around social networks and messaging apps like wildfire, so even uncle Gerard whom you haven't heard from in two years ends up sending it to you so you "know better." Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, and every app with a large number of users suffers from this and has been taking measures to combat this. WhatsApp is now taking a more drastic measure to stop the spread of viral messages by prohibiting you from forwarding them in bulk. The change only affects frequently forwarded messages on the app and will restrict sharing to one chat at a time. Previously, WhatsApp lowered the limit from 20 chats to 5 in early 2019, and that is still valid for regular messages. But for viral ones, it will be narrowed down to one. If you want to send the message to multiple persons and groups, you'll need to select, tap forward, and choose a new chat multiple times. Sure, that won't stop anyone from spreading misinformation if they're hellbent on doing so, but it'll make it really tedious and discourage most users from doing so repeatedly. Affected messages are frequently forwarded ones, which are easily distinguished by the double arrow before the Forwarded label on top of them. These texts, images, videos, and voice notes, likely originated outside of your close network and were sent multiple times from one person to another until they reached you. Not all of them are bad WhatsApp admits that there are memes, funny videos, and useful information being sent this way but users have been recently overwhelmed by forwards, especially ones with wrong information, and the company hopes to curb that. The top pic is a regular forward, the bottom one has the double arrows and is frequently forwarded. This extreme measure is one of many that WhatsApp is taking to combat coronavirus misinformation. It's still rolling out and isn't live for us yet. Update 1: 2020/04/13 5:28am PDT by Rita El KhouryLive The restriction is now live in WhatsApp, on both the stable (v2.20.108) and beta (v2.20.122) channels. As expected, this doesn't affect regular messages (still limited to five at a time), just frequently forwarded ones. Thanks, Moshe!
Other News South Africa
Sibanye-Stillwater execs donate salaries to COVID-19 fund, SA mines to re-start on April 14 - Mining MX
SIBANYE-Stillwater is the first of South Africa’s mining companies to follow in the steps of the country’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, by donating a third of its executive team’s salaries to the COVID-19 Solidarity Fund. The company also said it would resume …
SIBANYE-Stillwater is the first of South Africa’s mining companies to follow in the steps of the country’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, by donating a third of its executive team’s salaries to the COVID-19 Solidarity Fund. The company also said it would resume limited operations from its South African gold and platinum group metal (PGM) mines from April 14. The mines had been placed on care and maintenance from March 25 in line with the government’s decision to implement a 21-day lockdown of the country in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19. The lockdown was on April 9 extended by another two weeks although Ramaphosa said “… risk-adjusted measures” would be adopted to enable for a phased recovery of the economy “… allowing the return to operation of certain sectors under strictly controlled conditions”. It was during that address that Ramaphosa announced he, the deputy president David Mabuza, ministers and their deputy ministers across the cabinet would take a one-third cut in salary for the next three months and donate the proceeds to the Solidarity Fund. He called on the country’s executive class to do the same. The fund, established by Ramaphosa to help combat COVID-19 and provide economic support to people most heavily affected by it, had raised R2.2bn as of the end of last week. Sibanye-Stillwater’s donations, which will include that of the group’s CEO Neal Froneman, will take place for the next three months. The decision to make the contribution was unanimous, the company said. Froneman received a total basic pay of R11.7m before salary benefits in the firm’s 2018 financial year, the last available remuneration report publicly available. Charl Keyter, the firm’s CFO, received R6m. The total basic monthly salary bill for Sibanye-Stillwater’s prescribed officers in the 2018 financial year was R49.9m which would be the contribution over the period for donations. The group also said today that it had received approval for limited mining and processing at its South African operations from April 14 “… subject to the implementation of agreed protocols to address COVID-19 related health and safety risks”. “From 14 April 2020 … approval for limited mining and processing at the South African operations has subsequently been received, subject to the implementation of agreed protocols to address COVID-19 related health and safety risks,” it said. The company employs about 80,000 people at its PGM and gold operations in South Africa. It also operates a PGM mine and processing facilities in the US where capital project development has been placed on hold. Details of how the South African mining sector is likely to emerge from the lockdown are due in the coming week.
Sunderland hospital trust to see millions of pounds in debts written off to fund coronavirus fight - Sunderland Echo
Sunderland’s hospital trust is to have millions of pounds in debt written off to help the battle with the coronavirus.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced last week that £13.4 billion in NHS debt was to be written off. Figures today show that will include £1.3 billion across 15 NHS Trusts in the North East and Yorkshire. South Tyneside and Sunderland will see £22,129,000 in revenue debt expunged. Across the region, County Durham and Darlington will see its debt cut by £30,108,000 Gateshead by £12,235,000 while South Tees will have debts totalling £144,622,000 written off. Sunder;land Royal Hospital Copyright: JPIMedia Sign up to our daily newsletter The i newsletter cut through the noise Matt Hancock said: As we tackle this crisis, nobody in our health service should be distracted by their hospitals past finances. Today Im pleased to confirm the value of this package for the North East and Yorkshire. This £1.3 billion debt write off will wipe the slate clean and allow NHS hospitals to plan for the future and invest in vital services. Some have taken out loans to plug funding gaps in their day-to-day (revenue) or capital (infrastructure) budgets. Nationwide, 107 Trusts have an average of £100million revenue debt each, with the two trusts with the highest debts reaching a combined total of over £1 billion. NHS chief executive, Sir Simon Stevens, said: We've advocated for and support this pragmatic move which will put NHS hospitals, mental health and community services in a stronger position - not just to respond to the immediate challenges of the global coronavirus pandemic, but also in the years ahead to deliver widespread improvements set out in our NHS Long Term Plan." Under the new rules set out in a letter to all NHS Trusts, should hospitals need extra cash this will be given with equity, rather than needing to borrow from the government and repay a loan. The debt write-off package was launched in combination with a simpler internal payment system to help NHS trusts in dealing with the Covid-19 response, agreed with NHS England. The Government says the change will mean hospitals will get all the necessary funding to carry out their emergency response, despite many cancelling or limiting their usual services such as elective surgery or walk-in clinics due to the virus. A message from the Editor: Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you. In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper. Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis. With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper. How to subscribe to the print edition Its easy to subscribe to your local newspaper. We have arranged a special 20 per cent off subscription offer for people to take advantage of. Visit www.localsubsplus.co.uk, choose the newspaper title, the type of subscription and enter your details.