SA News Today | South Afr Republiek van Suid-Afrika
BREAKING SA NEWS ⏩ Read the latest headlines about trending events in ✅ SOUTH AFRICA ✅ and around the world ⏩ Today's news update on BRIEFLY.co.za
Steve Jobs' Handwritten Job Application Letter from 1973 Sells for R3.3 Million - Briefly
The application letter of the former Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, has been auctioned at over R3.3m. Though the paper appears creased with age, content looks good.
- The 1973 application letter written by former CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs, has sold for $222 400 (R3.3 million) in an online auction - In the letter, Steve stated what he was good at that made him the best candidate for the job he was applying for - The new sale comes a few years after the same document sold for $175 000 (R2.6 million) in 2018 PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates! Steve Jobs, the late former CEO of Apple, is in the news again and this time around it is for something he did almost 50 years ago. The handwritten job application letter he wrote in 1973 has been auctioned at a whopping sum of $222 400 (R3.3 million) by Charterfields Auctions. It should be noted that Chaterfields said the document was really handwritten by Jobs. The letter, however, does not state what company he wanted to work at. Hypebeast gathered that the year the application was written almost tallies with when the former Apple CEO started his career at Atari Inc in 1974. Financial Express said that the bidding which sold was first opened in February. This is the second time the letter would be selling at a public auction. Photos sources: Justin Sullivan, HypebeastSource: UGC The letter was also reportedly drafted around the time Steve dropped out of school and stopped formal learning at Reed College in Portland, Oregon. The auction company said that the letter showcases the mans experience with computers and calculators and his special skills in areas such as electronic tech or design engineering. Another important thing to note is that this would not be the first time the letter is being auctioned. In 2018, it sold for $175 000 (R2.6 million). Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za earlier reported that Twitter co-founder and chief executive officer, Jack Dorsey, sold his first-ever tweet for a record $2.9 million (R43 million). The tweet, which read "Just setting up my Twttr," was first published on the American technology entrepreneur's page on Tuesday, March 21, 2006. The post was purchased using ether cryptocurrency, the world's second-largest virtual currency by market capitalisation. The tweet has been shared more than 120,000 times and liked more than 160,000 times since it was first posted. Dorsey said he would convert the money generated from the sale to Bitcoin and donate the funds to charity through the Give Directly Africa Fund, which gives cash directly to families in extreme poverty in several African countries. The Twitter boss and musician Jay-Z had earlier teamed up to establish a new Bitcoin fund for the adoption of Bitcoin in African countries and India. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news! Source: Briefly.co.za
AKA Is a Slay King but Sorry Ladies He's Officially Off the Market - Briefly
AKA has finally paid lobola to his fiancé's family making it official. He made the announcement on social media, captioning the snaps with a cow and a heart.
- AKA is no longer available after paying lobola to Nelli Tembe's family taking his relationship to the next level - He shared snaps on social media of him with Tembe's family and captioned it with a cow and a heart - His fans reacted to the news with messages of congratulations with some questioning the speed at which the relationship is moving PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates! AKA is no longer an item for sale. Ladies across South Africa commiserated as the hit rapper took to Twitter to officially say that he is no longer in the dating game and is very happy with girlfriend Nelli Tembe. He announced that he's paid lobola for his wife Nelli and visited her family to officially negotiate lobola. He posted snaps of himself visiting Nelli's family and captioned them with a cow and a heart. Nelli commented on his Instagram post by simply saying: "My husband ." AKA has taken his relationship with Nelli Tembe to the next level. Photo credit: @akaworldwideSource: Instagram Fans took to the internet to react to the news that AKA has taken the next step: thulisa_rubu: "Congratulations Fave!!! Super proud of you!!! " nwanati_chief: "Damn that's was quick by the way congratulations AKA " thabo54321: "Zinhle and bonang somewhere punching the air " Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that the romance is heating up for AKA and his fiancée Nelli Tembe. It seems the rapper is now ready to make it official by paying lobola to the Tembe family. He took to Twitter to query how much it would cost to purchase cows in the country. He tweeted: Quick question. Whats the going rate for a Cow in ZAR these days...asking for a friend. Social media users helped him out with some answers. Twitter user TlaleDikoko said: Go pay that lobola mchana! In other news, South African rapper Costa Titch is ready to drop some fire tracks and it looks like AKA is wanting in on the heat. Costa is making waves in the Mzansi hip hop scene and AKA can definitely see it. Having already worked with big names such as Riky Rick, Boity, YoungstaCPT and 25k, it wouldnt be a bad idea if Costa got together with AKA and cooked up something spicy for the people. Taking to social media, Costa expressed his need to drop new music and how he would love for AKA to be a part of it. Costa asked his fans to help get AKAs attention by tagging him in the comment section of his post. Titch Gang! we need @akaworldwide to jump on this! Please tag him in the comments! Lets see what we can do! #Costatitch #AKA. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news! Source: Briefly.co.za
Somizi Poses With Vusi Nova, Fans Notice That They Are Wearing Similar Rings - Briefly
Somizi Mhlongo and Vusi Nova have been spotted in another Instagram post, one fan noticed that Vusi and Somizi are wearing similar rings leading to speculation.
- Somizi Mhlongo uploaded a snap to Instagram showing him and Vusi Nova posing together - One fan noticed that they are wearing similar rings, Vusi on his left and Somizi on his right which led to wild speculation - Fans took to the comments section to share their theories and opinions PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates! There has been a lot of noise surrounding Somizi Mhlongo and his husband Mohale Motaung. The two have bee spotted in various social media posts, sometimes without their wedding rings on. Somizi posted a recent pic to Instagram where he is posing with his close friend Vusi Nova, on Somizi's right hand a ring is clearly visible. His fans have noticed that Vusi Nova is also wearing a similar ring on his left hand leading to wild speculation. Somizi poses with Vusi Nova and fans drew their own conclusions. Photo credit: SomiziSource: Instagram Fans took to the comments section to react to the latest pic and share their opinions: bl.essing.xo: "Same rings." kowocharity2019: "If it was up to me I wish you guys could get married instead of being best friends." enchantress_0852: "Confuse us Somizi until we learn to mind our business." tlouss: "Hayi cha! we must learn to mind our business every time Somizi post a picture with Vusi people ask if they dating singenaphi ngempela enjoy your weekend, Som Som & Vusi." joearrangement: "Is Vusi replacing Mohale? You guys look so arrangementic together ." Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that Somizi Mhlongo took to Instagram to flex his amazing boxing skills. The multi-talented celebrity posted videos of himself in the boxing ring throwing hands. He proved that he has the eye of the tiger and knows the thrill of the fight. He was decked out in Nomzamo Mbatha's new Puma range, not only looking dangerous but good at the same time. In other news, Somizi is trending on social media yet again. But this time its not about the rumours surrounding his divorce from Mohale. The media personality gave some advice to a caller on the popular Agony Aunt segment called Ask A Man. His advice is what impressed social media users. The caller was having major issues with her man and needed advice about the relationship. Somizi gave some tough love advice. Speaking to the caller, Somizi said: Ask yourself what part did you play in this, take accountability, don't play victim because you'll never learn nor will you ever heal. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news! Source: Briefly.co.za
Mzansi Shares Reactions to Latest Drama on Skeem Saam, "Most Touching Episode" - Briefly
The latest episode of Skeem Saam has gotten South Africans all emotional, they took to Twitter to share their reactions to Noah's worries and Wallet's poem.
- South Africans are loving Skeem Saam, the soapie has won over a lot of fans - The latest episode has been an emotional rollercoaster for viewers - They took to the internet to praise the show and its actors, particularly Wallet (Molefi Monaisa) and Noah (Austin Mothapo) PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates! Mzansi was blown away with the latest drama on Skeem Saam, with some people calling it an award-winning episode. Particular due to two characters, Wallet (Molefi Monaisa) and Noah (Austin Mothapo). Fans of the show have praised Molefi's acting ability and the writers for crafting a superb episode. Noah was sentenced to prison and Wallet's poem had people feeling all sorts of things. South Africa reacted to a touching episode of Skeem Saam. Photo credit: @SkeemSaam3Source: Twitter Here are some of the reactions to the episode: @MalungisaYawa2: "That is the most touching episode." @Zimra77416383: "Wallet!!!! here comes Wallet with Noah's poem #SkeemSaam." @cedrick_mphulo: "Yoh nna Noah.. Somehow I feel for him, I hope he'll come back a changed man. #SkeemSaam." @NkosinatiMagwa: "10 years in jail with immediate effect . Damn this looks so real ." @nkosanap: "Wallet is more like a father to Noah." @Itumeleng_Lebes: "We don't even deserve the kind of acting this guy serves usbeyond #SkeemSaam." @Spokmathambo: "Appreciation Tweet for MOLEFI Monaisa plays the role of Wallet in #SkeemSaam." @cedrick_mphulo: "I won't be surprised if Mary plans Noah's prison escape I don't trust her. #SkeemSaam." Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that Skeem Saam viewers were furious with the SABC after the broadcaster repeated the episode from Friday, 13 March. They took to Twitter to drag the broadcaster for the huge mistake as fans were eagerly anticipating the latest drama from the hit show. The official Skeem Saam Twitter account published an apology: "We realize that @Official_SABC1 has been experiencing a technical glitch in tonight's episode of #SkeemSaam. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. " In other news, Veteran actor Sello Maake KaNcube is turning 61 this Friday, 12 March. The talented star shot to fame back in the days when he played the role of Archie Moroka in the now-defunct Generations. The thespian has performed in theatre, film and TV in Mzansi as well as overseas. Sello is also known in Mzansi for portraying the role of Lucas 'Daniel' Nyathi in Scandal!. He has also appeared on shows such as The Queen and Rockville. Sello's fans and peers in the entertainment industry have taken to social media to wish him a happy birthday. Check out some of their comments below: @bonganiXaba1475 wrote: Happy birthday to this amazing man. Every minute I spend with you always has value. I've learnt a lot from you Sir. May you continue being the most incredible person you are. Happy birthday dad @sellomkn." Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news! Source: Briefly.co.za
Zahara Loses Her Sister in Horrific Car Crash over the Weekend - Briefly
Zahara has lost another member of her family after her sister passed away after being involved in a car crash over the weekend, she'd lost her brother in 2020.
- Zahara is in mourning after losing another family member; her sister passed away in a car accident over the weekend - Zahara took to social media to share a touching message about her sister - Her friends and family took to the comments section to share messages of condolence PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates! Zahara has once again been struck by tragedy as her sister, Nomonde Mtukwana, passed away in a car crash on Saturday, 6 March 2021. She posted a moving tribute to her sister in a Twitter post. Mtukwana was also a musician and part of the Mkutukana Sisters band. The two were very close and Zahara had often said that her sister was her inspiration. Zahara has lost another loved one as her sister passes away in a car accident. Photo credit: zaharasaSource: Instagram "So yesterday was my last time seeing your face when you were at work yhini Masthathu mntakamama. Phofu andikwazi nokulila ngoba kum usaphila. Lala Ndebe Nkulu kaTata." Her fans and friends took to the post to share their condolences: thenjiwecomedy: "Oh Zahara my deepest condolences Alale ngoxolo ." nomcebo_zikode: "Aw Jehova kodwa ezibuhlungu azipheli, the love u had for each other was incredible, May her soul rest in peace ." nkosinathimacanda: "Sorry for your loss heard the news this morning. I also lost a sister in her.May her soul rest in eternal peace." Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that Zahara recently took to social media to share that she has lost another loved one. The award-winning songstress had buried her big brother just a few weeks ago. The heartbroken star took to Instagram again to open up about losing people that are close to her "left and centre". The Loliwe hitmaker did not mention who the loved one was when she posted about the sad news. She only shared a pic of herself, which had a few crying emojis and a photo of two ladies singing. She captioned her post: "Hamba kahle qhawekazi amandla ngawakho (Farewell heroine, power to you). Okay God me and you now, whats wrong so we can say sorry. Im losing people right and centre." In other news, the year 2020 is showing no mercy and has claimed yet another life. Zahara took to social media to reveal that she has lost her big brother. The musician shared a picture of a sombre-looking funeral service over the weekend. The Loliwe hitmaker revealed that she lost her big brother recently. She took to Instagram to share a picture from the funeral. Although she did not go into detail about the cause of death, it was clear that she was mourning his loss greatly. Pictures from the funeral also revealed that the big brother was a soldier. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Explainer: WhatsApp users risk losing accounts over agreement - Briefly
A shift in WhatsApp's terms and conditions can see users losing access to their accounts unless they agree to share their private information with Facebook.
- WhatsApp has made headlines around the world after changing its terms of service - This move forces users to share personal data, including numbers and location with Facebook - Briefly.co.za explores the situation in a bid to explore why the move is making waves PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates! WhatsApp has long marketed itself as a privacy-focused service but a recent shift has seen people opting out of using the messaging platform. Users who opt not to agree will lose access to their accounts. Image: Filip Radwanski/SOPA ImagesSource: Getty Images WhatsApp announced on Wednesday that users will need to agree to allow Facebook and subsidiaries to collect data including phone numbers, location and more. If users fail to agree to these terms by 8 February they will lose access to WhatsApp completely. This has prompted many to call for users to delete their accounts and switch to other encrypted messaging apps like Telegram and Signal. Elon Musk was among the many who recommended a switch to alternatives, suggesting Signal. Facebook purchased WhatsApp 7 years ago and a spokesperson told Ars Technica that the change was in order to allow businesses to store WhatsApp chats using Facebook's infrastructure. Brian Acton and Jan Koun, WhatsApp's founders, opted to leave the company a few years back. Acton has voiced his displeasure with the situation, calling for people to delete Facebook. Koum's departure from the company coincided with reports that he had clashed with management over user privacy on the messaging app. Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za reported earlier that after several months, Elon Musk of Tesla has finally become the richest man on the planet, displacing Amazon Boss Jeff Bezos. What made that possible was a 4.8% share price increase of Tesla Inc on Thursday, January 7, which secured Elons first place among the worlds 500 richest people, Bloomberg reports. As of 10:15am, the co-owner of the electronic car company was worth $188.5 billion as he made a gain of $1.5 billion over the Amazon chief. Recall that the businessman was projected to soon become the richest person in the world as he trailed Bezos after his nett worth soared to $184.5 billion. It was gathered that Tesla's stock price jumped 4.9% on Wednesday, January 6, making it possible for Musk to trail Bezos by $3 billion. It should be noted that Jeff Bezos had held the one-of-a-kind position since October 2017. The new richest man is also his strong competitor in the private space business. Over several months, Musk has had his massive nett worth grow by $150 billion. One of the things that also contributed to that was how Tesla stock price rose by 743% in 2020, a year full of upheaval that marked a streak of continuous profit for him. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!