SA News Today | South Afr South Africa
BREAKING SA NEWS ⏩ Read the latest headlines about trending events in ✅ SOUTH AFRICA ✅ and around the world ⏩ Today's news update on BRIEFLY.co.za
Zola 7 finally admits he had a crush on Idols SA judge Unathi - Briefly.co.za
Zola 7 has finally admitted that he had a crush on Idols SA judge Unathi. The Woof Woof hitmaker released a smash song with Unathi titled Sana Lwami in 2007.
- Zola 7 has admitted that he had a huge crush on media personality, Unathi - The Woof Woof hitmaker had released a smash hit titled Sana Lwami with Unathi in 2007 - The star admitted his feelings for the Idols SA judge in a recent interview PAY ATTENTION:Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! Zola 7 once dominated Mzansi music charts and had a hit reality TV show with the same title as his name, Zola 7. His songs were on high rotation on radio stations across the country and peeps just loved him for his humility. At the prime of his career, Zola got a chance to work with gorgeous media personality, Unathi. They released a smash hit titled Sana Lwami in 2007. In a recent interview, the Woof Woof hitmaker finally admitted that he had a crush on the Idols SA judge. SAHipHopMag reports that Zola left the studio when Unathi recorded her verse on the song. "I left because I had a genuine crush on her, and she killed it (the song). Then I came back and said this is the song but there was a problem with the song, the bass was from the computer. So DJ Cleo went and got a bass guitar." Even on the video of the song, it was easy to see that there was some sort of chemistry between the two stars. READ ALSO: Menzi Ngubane shares throwback pic, fans react: "Our very own Denzel" The song will forever be a constant reminder of the feelings Zola had for Unathi. Brielfy.co.za recently reported that Zola has taken to his social media account to let his fans know they haven't heard the last of him. It is believed that he is also working on collaborations with the likes of Kwesta and Cassper Nyovest. Zola said he would not stop making music just yet. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Covid-19 update: No more testing if you are younger than 55 - Briefly.co.za
Cape Metro Department of Health says no more Covid-19 testing for people under the age of 55. Testing will be reserved for people aged 55 with health risks.
- Health officials in the Cape Metro report that Covid-19 testing will now only be reserved for people aged over 55 with additional risk factors - If you are under 55 and experience Covid-19 symptoms, just assume you have it, says Dr Keith Cloete - The new Covid-19 approach aims to reduce mortality (death rates) and save test kits PAY ATTENTION: Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! Cape Talkreports that health officials in the Cape Metro, Western Cape will now only test for the Covid-19 virus in people with 'comorbidities' (additional health risk factors) who are older than 55 years old. Everyone who accesses a health facility will will get screened but only those who have symptoms will and fall into the following categories will be tested: People already in hospital with Covid-19 symptoms. Health care workers with Covid-19 symptoms. People who are older than 55 with diabetes or hypertension and Covid-19 symptoms. People who are younger than 55 with underlying conditions and Covid-19 symptoms. People who live in a care home or an old age home with Covid-19 symptom In an interview with Cape Talk, Dr Keith Cloete, the Head of Health at the Western Cape Department, explained why they department is now changing its methodology and approach to the virus. Cloete explained that several factors are influencing this approach. Firstly, he said that they want to focus on people that most at risk of Covid-19 and this is people who are over the age of 55. He added that in doing this, they want to reduce mortality. READ ALSO:Covid-19: Mkhize announces that SA has reached 35 812 infections Cloete calls this approach, a "risk specified case management approach". He adds that if someone is younger than 55 and exhibits symptoms of the virus, they should simply assume that they have it and after 14 days they will be fine. There is no purpose in getting tested, he says. Cloete adds that this is also done to reduce the number of tests being done as the department has a massive number of backlogs. The country also has a shortage of Covid-19 test kits. As it stands, South Africa's confirmed Covid-19 cases are 35 812 and the Western Cape has 23 583 of all the country's cases. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Ramaphosa congratulates Elon Musk after historic flight into space - Briefly.co.za
Ramaphosa has congratulated South African citizen and global technology pioneer Elon Musk for his company SpaceX’s historic flight into space on 30 May 2020
- The President Cyril Ramaphosa has congratulated SpaceX CEO Elon Musk for the launch of astronauts into space - On the 30th of May, SpaceX became the first private company to launch astronauts for NASA - South African born Elon Musk was overcome with emotion after years of hard work paid off PAY ATTENTION:Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! The President, Cyril Ramaphosa, has offered warm congratulations to SpaceX CEO and South African citizen Elon Musk for his company's historic first commercial flight into space. Musk was "overcome" with emotion after SpaceX's first astronaut launch. On the 30th of May 2020, SpaceX launched astronauts for the first time ever, making history and opening a new age of commercial spaceflight. "I'm really quite overcome with emotion on this day, so it's kind of hard to talk, frankly" said Musk READ ALSO: Liquor back on sale: Retailers warn no bulk buying will be allowed A Falcon 9 rocket lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center, carrying SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule into orbit. The launch sent Bob Behken and Doug Hurley to the International Space Station (ISS). Pretoria born Elon Musk holds South African, Canadian and United States citizenship. Ramaphosa congratulated Musk, saying: "In the midst of our struggle against Covid-19, Elon Musk has made us proud as a country and continent. It is most appropriate that we have been given this hope and excitement at a time when insecurity and uncertainty defines the human condition in many parts of the world". By successfully launching its new Crew Dragon, SpaceX became the first private company to launch astronauts for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Elon Musk recently welcomed a baby boy into the world and he and his partner, Claire Elise Boucher (professionally known as Grimes), decided to name the baby after "the coolest plane ever". Grimes gave birth to a son on the 4th of May 2020 and they decided to name him "X Æ A-12" (pronounced "Ex Ash A Twelve). The strange name is a reference to an aircraft launched in the 1960s. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Connie Ferguson reveals the Ferguson household is sadly in mourning - Briefly.co.za
The Ferguson household is heavy today as they mourn the loss of one of their most loved family members, King Jesse. May his furry little soul rest in peace.
- Connie Ferguson took to social media to announce the passing of a very special family member, King Jesse - The Fergusons treat their animals like family, and King Jesse was an addition that can never be replaced - Sharing a few pictures of King Jesse, Connie expressed her sadness and thanked their furry family member for everything PAY ATTENTION:Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! The Ferguson household is heavy today as they mourn the loss of one of their most loved members, King Jesse. While to some losing a furry family member may seem like just another day, to the Fergusons its not. Briefly.co.za learnt that King Jessie, the Fergusons fur baby, sadly passes away of a lush 14 years of life. The Fergusons treat their animals like family, and King Jesse was an addition that can never be replaced. Taking to social media with a very heavy heart, Connie made the heartbreaking announcement. Not only was King Jesse a part of the clan, but he was also Alicias bestie and a family member who truly brought so much love and joy into the clan. READ ALSO: Reebok responds to AKAs serious and public SneAKA accusations Sharing a few pictures of King Jesse, Connie expressed her sadness and thanked their furry family member for all the love, support and memories over the past 14 years. RIP King Jesse. A good 14 years with you! Thank you for being our best friend, Alicias ride or die for most of her life, and the strongest, bravest dog ever! You are indeed royalty! Rest in power King Jesse. Thank you for the memories! In other fur baby news, Somizi Mohlongo was desperate to read a good book. He decided to call on a fellow celebrity friend and neighbour, Ayanda Thabethe, to borrow some reading material. Somizi and Ayanda are neighbours totally convenient during this awful time. Upon arrival, Somizi got a real surprise there was an overly-excited pup waiting for him. You can see how excited the Pomeranian pooch is waiting to greet Somizi. Poor dog hasnt seen visitors in weeks. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Uyajola 9/9 latest episode had viewers falling off their seats shook - Briefly.co.za
Uyajola 9/9 fans were taken aback by last night's episode. The drama that was seen cannot be unseen, and the things these women did were something unspeakable.
- Uyajola 9/9 brought the heat in last night's episode when the girls got down and dirty - As if the trailer for the episode wasn't enough, the actual thing had peeps sitting on the edge of their seats in shock - One woman flashed her 'nunu' off to JubJub and viewers can never unsee what they saw PAY ATTENTION:Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! Uyajola 9/9 is probably the most loved and hated show in Mzansi, and the people just cannot get enough of it. Without doubt, Uyajola 9/9 brings the heat and the drama every Sunday and has social media blazing. Briefly.co.za saw how hectic this Sunday's episode got when a couple got down and dirty after the man was caught cheating red-handed. Uyajola 9/9 shows the raw reality of cheating, and while most find it offensive, it is the truth of the situation. This Sundays episode took a look at a couple where the woman made it clear she didnt like being taken for a fool. After catching her man red-handed, the lady absolutely lost it! Uyajola 9/9 had earlier been sharing a trailer on social media that had everyone waiting in anticipation for last night's episode. READ ALSO: Reebok responds to AKAs serious and public SneAKA accusations After watching the episode and seeing the undeniable drama, Uyajola 9/9 viewers took to social media to discuss the situation. Yoh, ish got real, real quick. One of the women got hella hectic, flashing her nunu off to JubJub - it was a lot. The people were shook! Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Skeem Saam sheds light on Cassper Nyovest’s alleged role on the show - Briefly.co.za
Cassper Nyovest went viral under the hashtag #CassperOnSkeemSaam with claims he will be on the show. Skeem Saam has cleared the air and crushed many dreams.
- Skeem Saam has set the record straight regarding Cassper Nyovest's apparent new role on the show - Cassper went viral under the hashtag #CassperOnSkeemSaam with claims he will be on the show - Sadly, Skeem Saam publicists have made it clear that Cass will not be on the show PAY ATTENTION:Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! Skeem Saam has come forward to clear the air on rumours claiming Cassper Nyovest is joining the cast. A lot of strange things have been going on lately, so the idea of Cass joining Skeem Saam wasnt all that out there. Briefly.co.za knows how Cassper went viral under the hashtag #CassperOnSkeemSaam, with many people claiming he was joining the Skeem Saam fam. Since all the commotion, the Skeem Saam team has come forward to set the record straight. Speaking to TshisaLIVE, Sumaya Mogola, Skeem Saam publicist, made it clear that the rumours are not true Cass will not be on Skeem Saam. READ ALSO: Reebok responds to AKAs serious and public SneAKA accusations This came as quite the downer considering how amped everyone was to see Cassper make a turn at Turfloop High School to collect his Grade 10 academic record or to fall for Lelo Mthiyane, played by Amanda Du Pont. Skeem Saam could have at least tried to get Cassper on board before shattering everyones dream Cass is normally a team player. In other news, Cassper Nyovest has been dragged into his arch-rival AKA's feud with media personality Sizwe Dhlomo. AKA and Sizwe have been involved in a nasty twar since the Run Jozi hitmaker spoke out about his deal-gone-bad with Reebok. Sizwe called AKA a "bad businessman" and all hell broke loose afterwards. Sizwe has even threatened to put his hands on the rapper. The Amademoni hitmaker has been dragged into the ring by social media users who claimed he was "twirling" for Sizwe amid the twar. They also said he was too soft with his responses to AKA when he took a shot at his parents. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Scientists discover microbe that could stop Malaria transmission - Briefly.co.za
A team of scientists in Kenya discovered a method with significant potential to completely stop mosquitos from transmitting the parasites which cause malaria.
- A microbe discovered by researchers in Kenya may provide a safe biological way of fighting malaria - It is believed the microbe, or bug, which is found in mosquitoes, can stop the transmission of the diseases that kills thousands annually - They studied mosquitoes infected with the microbe and found that none of them carried the parasite responsible for malaria - Microsporidia MB is a single-cell bug that lives in a mosquito's gut and genitals, where it produces spores - It is found in 5% of mosquitoes in a high-risk region around Kenya's Lake Victoria, where the researchers focused their work PAY ATTENTION: Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! A team of scientists in Kenya has discovered a novel method with significant potential to completely stop mosquitos from transmitting the parasites which cause malaria in humans. The scientists, most of whom are from Kenya, the UK and one from South Africa were biologists at the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE) in Nairobi. Mosquitoes inject their saliva into the skin to facilitate blood-feeding. Their saliva contains plasmodium, which is injected together with the saliva resulting in malaria transmission. Photo: CNNSource: Facebook READ ALSO: Kelly Khumalo opens up on divorce from sis Zandile: Its gone legal Briefly.co.za learned that they discovered Microsporidia MB, a microorganism that lives in a mosquitos reproductive tract and gut and completely protects the mosquito from being infected with plasmodium, the parasite that causes malaria. According to a report by Quartz Africa, the study showed the Microsporidia MB reduces the establishment of the Plasmodium falciparum parasite in the guts of the mosquitoes. The researchers published their findings in the science journal, Nature Communications showing the microbe also impairs the colonization of the salivary glands by the parasite. Microsporidia are fungi, or at least closely related to them. Like plasmodium, which is protozoans, they are also known to live inside mosquitoes as parasites. Mosquitoes inject their saliva into the skin to facilitate blood-feeding. Their saliva contains plasmodium, which is usually injected together with the saliva resulting in malaria transmission. Scientists believe this makes the Microsporidia MB a realistic candidate as an eco-friendly and sustainable strategy to replace harmful mosquito populations with harmless ones. The hope is that by infecting mosquitoes in a region with Microsporidia they will no longer be able to infect humans with malaria parasites. "Step two is increasing the levels of the microbe in mosquitoes, which will be the hard part, but it is very encouraging to see how infectious this microbe is," one of the researchers Jeremy Herren said "Its ability to be spread from a mother mosquito to her offspring is an incredibly powerful feature,' he added. Herren said the scientists are studying other ways the microbe could spread through the mosquito population, such as releasing spores. The team of scientists had been studying mosquitoes on the shores of Lake Victoria in Kenya. This strategy has been demonstrated before in a city in northern Australia where mosquitoes infected with Wolbachia, a bacterium, were deployed on a large scale. That effectively stopped all outbreaks of dengue fever for more than four years. In April 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that progress in the fight against malaria, which kills 400,000 people annually, had stalled. There had been reports of drug resistance, such as Artemisinin resistance, in several regions and insecticide resistance in 73 countries in 2019. The new RTS,S malaria vaccine approved in 2015 has low efficacy and only decreased malaria cases by 39% and severe cases by 29% in clinical trials. The vaccine could only decrease malaria cases by 39% and severe cases by 29% in clinical trials. This efficacy of the vaccine is low compared to 85% to 95% for most routine vaccines for children. There has been no significant reduction in the annual numbers of malaria cases since 2014. These have led to concerns that if better methods are not developed to control the disease, the progress that has been achieved so far may be revered. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Kelly Khumalo opens up on ‘divorce’ from sis Zandile: It’s gone legal - Briefly.co.za
Kelly Khumalo recently opened up about the ongoing sibling rivalry she has with her sister Zandile – it’s gone legal. Sibling rivalries are never easy or nice.
- Kelly Khumalo recently sat down with Afternoon Express and opened up about a few pressing matters - She explained that the matter with her sister Zandile and ex-husband Mhlo was being handled by lawyers and that things had escalated - Another thing Kelly touched on was her apparent Covid-19 meltdown, stating it was a divine calling PAY ATTENTION: Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! Kelly Khumalo recently opened up about the ongoing sibling rivalry she has with her sister Zandile its gone legal. It is never nice to fight with family, especially siblings. Your siblings are meant to be lifelong friends, not enemies. Briefly.co.za knows that Kelly and Zandiles drama stems from apparent claims Kelly made about her ex-husband, Mhlo Gumede. Kelly distanced herself from Mhlo after he was involved in a scam, then Zandile took Mhlos side and kicked her sister to the curb. Sitting down with Afternoon Express, Kelly explained that the matter was being handled by lawyers and that things had escalated. Kelly has no time for those who do not choose her. Family or not, if you not going to have her back, Kelly has no time for you. READ ALSO: Mzansi Magics KwaMamkhize totally obliterates viewer ratings Honestly, I am at peace with it. I am that one person who moved on when it is time to move on, whether you are family or not. When it is time to move on, it is time to move on. Another thing Kelly touched on was her apparent Covid-19 meltdown. Kelly made it clear that she was crying for the country and its people, not herself. Being in tune with her spiritual side, Kelly said a voice told her to feel the pain of her people and pray. It was not even me. If you know me very well, you would know that I am a very spiritual person and I have a gift, in terms of spirituality. I see things. I feel things. With so much that we are going through as a nation, I felt all sorts of things. One voice that was loud to me was to ask people, plead with people, to pray and tell God exactly what we want from this situation, because he is the only person who can put an end to this. Here is the clip from the show: Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
13 kg piece of the moon that fell on earth up for sale at R43 million - Briefly.co.za
A 13.5 kilogram piece of moon which fell on earth is up for sale at KSh 250 million. The lunar meteorite, known as NWA 12691, fell on earth in a meteor shower.
- The lunar meteorite, known as NWA 12691, fell on earth in a meteor shower and was found two years ago in the Sahara Desert - Christie's, a British auction house, said the rock was probably knocked off the moon's surface by a collision with an asteroid or a comet - The rock was the fifth-largest piece of the moon on earth and anyone with money could buy it immediately PAY ATTENTION: Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! A 13.5-kilogram piece of the moon which fell on earth is up for sale for R43 million. The lunar meteorite, known as NWA 12691, fell on earth in a meteor shower and was found two years ago in the Sahara Desert. Meteorite NWA 12691 was found in the Sahara Desert and weighs 13.5 kg, it is valued at more than R 43 million. Photo: Christie's.Source: UGC READ ALSO: Mzansi Magics KwaMamkhize totally obliterates viewer ratings According to a report by CNN, the rock was the fifth-largest piece of the moon onearth and anyone with money could buy it immediately. "There aren't even a handful of larger lunar meteorites: this is the fifth largest known. Nothing brought back by the Apollo Missions is as large," "It is really an incredible opportunity to acquire a world class specimen from the moon," James Hyslop, Christie's Head of Science and Natural History said. A file photo of an asteroid entering the earth. Photo: Getty images.Source: Getty Images Christie's said the rock was probably knocked off the moon's surface by a collision with an asteroid or a comet and it had to travel at least 239,000 miles through space before falling to earth in a fiery meteor shower. About 30 meteorites from the shower were found in Northwest Africa and Christie's was also offering for private sale a group of 13 aesthetic iron meteorites. Hyslop said he was lucky to have to handle a few lunar meteorites at Christies over the years. Ive been lucky enough to handle a few lunar meteorites at Christies over the years, but every time I see this specimen in the warehouse the sheer size of it bowls me over. Weighing over 13.5kg, it is so much larger than anything else that has ever been offered before. The experience of holding a piece of another world in your hands is something you never forget. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
Maps Maponyane serves feels with birthday wishes to bestie Boity Thulo - Briefly.co.za
Maps Maponyane gave his ‘bestie’ Boity Thulo the most beautiful 30th birthday shout out ever. Ugh, these two are just too much for Mzansi to handle anymore.
- Maps Maponyane gave his bestie Boity Thulo the most beautiful 30th birthday shout out ever - Boity was showered with endless love on her big 30th birthday, but it was Maps wishes that hit us right in the feels - Taking to social media on his main squeezes birthday, Maps reminded Boity just how special she is and just how much he cherishes her PAY ATTENTION: Click See First under the Following tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed! Maps Maponyane gave his bestie Boity Thulo the most beautiful 30th birthday shout out ever! Boity Thulo and Maps Maponyane would really make the most perfect Mzansi celeb couple ever, but the friendzone situation is real. Briefly.co.za saw how Boity was showered with endless love on her big 30th birthday, but it was Maps wishes that hit us right in the feels. These two share a friendship that most feel is too magical not to turn into something more. Dating rumours about Maps and Boity have been the talk of the town for the longest time but the two have always reminded us that they are just friends. Boity turned 30 this week and she feels on top of the world. Maps came in with flames, making his gurl feel all kinds of special. Taking to social media on his main squeezes birthday, Maps reminded Boity just how special she is and just how much he cherishes her. Maps served an XL portion of the feels with his birthday wish, making the people feel even more that these two need to couple up! READ ALSO: Mzansi Magics KwaMamkhize totally obliterates viewer ratings Like the joy, the memories are endless. I hope I let you know often enough just how grateful I am for you. Happy Birthday and Happy Big 3.0.! I'm excited for all that this next decade has in store for you, and all the fun you'll be having while scaling those heights. This is only the beginning. In other news, it was just a month back that Boity attended Maps 30th birthday and made him feel like the business. Boity Thulo and Maps Maponyane - South Africa's favourite unofficial couple. The two are constantly 'accused' of being more than just friends. They have both denied any truth to rumours of them being romantically involved but fans just aren't buying it. When Boity shared a snap of them together at Maps' 30th birthday party - which was a surprise - fans once again felt convinced that there's something between them. Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!