News24 Republiek van Suid-Afrika
South Africa's premier news source, provides breaking news on national, world, Africa, sport, entertainment, technology and more.
Jacob Zuma: 'Some members may be corrupt, but not the ANC itself' - News24
Former president Jacob Zuma on Thursday criticised President Cyril Ramaphosa's letter to the ANC, in which he called the party corrupt.
- Jacob Zuma has criticised Cyril Ramaphosa's letter to the ANC, in which he called the party corrupt.
- He said some members in the party may be corrupt, but not the ANC itself.
- He said ANC branches had power, but seldom used it.
Public service wages: It's not about 'us' vs 'them', but SA is in bad shape - Mchunu - News24
Minister of Public Service and Administration Senzo Mchunu says that there has never been and will not be a resolution from government that undermines collective bargaining.
- Minister of Public Service and Administration Senzo Mchunu says that there has never been and will not be a resolution from government that undermines collective bargaining.
- Public sector wage negotiations are under way, but Mchunu said that any outcome should be in the country's interest.
- Government is also addressing the trust deficit with labour by quelling corruption, says Mchunu.
Ramaphosa: SA's carbon emissions will decline 10 years early - News24
South Africa is updating its Nationally Determined Contribution or commitments to reduce emissions in line with the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa was one of 40 world leaders participating in US President Joe Biden's Summit on Climate Change.
- SA - which tops all other G20 countries in terms of reliance on coal for electricity - is pursuing a just transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Ramaphosa reaffirmed commitments to build renewable energy generating capacity of over 17 gigawatts of renewable energy by 2030.
Safe deposit boxes and mystery trips: Anoj Singh in the Zondo Commission hot seat - News24
Former Transnet CFO Anoj Singh was asked about the details of his purchase of eight safe deposit boxes, mystery drives to the supplier and trips to the United Arab Emirates.
- Former Transnet CFO Anoj Singh had to answer questions at the state capture inquiry on Thursday about his daily movement when he was with the parastatal.
- This included frequent visits to a safe deposit box business in Johannesburg and trips to the United Arab Emirates.
- These details related to transactions, movements and travel come from the Gupta leaks.
App allows users to report adverse effects from medicines, including Covid-19 vaccines - News24
If you want to report any adverse side effects from drugs and therapies, such as the Covid vaccine, there’s now a convenient app that allows you to do so. Here's how to use it.
- Sahpra has launched a free app available to iOS and Android users
- It will allow users to report adverse effects to hundreds of medicines and therapies, including the Covid-19 vaccine
- More than 10 000 people have already downloaded the app
- Report adverse drug reactions (ADRs)
- Report adverse events following Covid immunisation (AEFIs)
- Learn about medicine safety news from Sahpra
- View numbers of reports received in the World Health Organization (WHO) database of suspected ADRs
- Receive official, personalised news and alerts about medicines you are taking or interested in via the “watch list” feature
Nedbank stops direct financing of new oil and gas exploration projects with immediate effect - News24
Nedbank says it has decided not to directly finance new oil and gas exploration projects with immediate effect.
- Nedbank has adopted a new energy policy, directing more of its investment towards renewable energy sources
- The bank decided not to directly finance new oil and gas exploration projects with immediate effect
- Banks have faced increased scrutiny from environmental activists over the past few years regarding their decisions to continue financing fossil fuel projects